The age of the average home brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callumbo

Reaction score
Now I'm not calling you guys old :whistle:

But I've read a few "ooh my back" and "when the gran kids are over" :lol: and was just curious of the age of you brewers. From what I've read most of you seem to be 50's or 60's and I reckon some of you make the best beer known to man due to years of perfecting.

Im 24 so just in the early steps and have lifetime of brewing to get done and I'm looking forward to perfecting my beer and teaching the gran kids down the line haha.:-?

I was just curious to know the age of you now and when you got into brewing? And your biggest tips and progress through the years.

46 now and only started back in August.Had started at 21 for a few years but how things have changed.
Best tip I can give is take as much advice as you can and don't be afraid to try something.If it goes wrong well lesson learned and if it goes right well even better.
Remember it's you that's brewing your brew so relax and don't feel under pressure cause that's when you will make mistakes.
I experiment all the time and just recently I nailed my first brew to within 90 percent but the problem with the recipe was the grain kit I bought does not break down the grain bill.

Sent from my ALE-L21

41, started when I was 39. Would have started earlier but didn't have the room until we moved out of the city centre.

I am 58 and have been brewing second time around for a little over 3 years now. Have progressed from the kits (Coopers in the main) through soaking some steeping grains and adding hops onto full All Grain brewing.

I started at around 22, living at home with my parents in a house with room for experiments and did extract beer from DME and hops, with lots of sugar and wine from all sorts of stuff.

The beer kits now available are really good and will make you beer at least as good as cans with a little attention to cleaning, sanitising and a bit of patience.

Partial Mash will give you you beer as good as you can generally buy and AG will get you beer as suited to your own tastes as you can imagine.

Fortunately, both my tastes and imagination are fairly limited and I think the sort of recipe from the Greg Hughes book works for me.

51 and have only just started cider making because I've moved to a place with apple trees in the garden, and an apple pressing company just up the road!

It was meant to be!

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tw@tatalk

44 started 2 years ago with a coopers kit, i was so disappointed with it i poured it all away, joined this forum and read the 'simple AG'
thread, went straight on to that,havent brewed alot but ive enjoyed making mash tuns and bits and bobs,

Turned 40 this year and started brewing this year but started being interested in brewing last year

51 and only been brewing for 2 years!

However, I've been holidaying in Belgium & Netherlands/Belguim border (centre parcs) for over 10 years so know what a good beer should be like. :lol:

Most of my beers are extract based but that's not stopped me knocking up stuff I love to drink :whistle:

I am 58 and have been brewing second time around for a little over 3 years now. Have progressed from the kits (Coopers in the main) through soaking some steeping grains and adding hops onto full All Grain brewing.

I started at around 22, living at home with my parents in a house with room for experiments and did extract beer from DME and hops, with lots of sugar and wine from all sorts of stuff.

The beer kits now available are really good and will make you beer at least as good as cans with a little attention to cleaning, sanitising and a bit of patience.

Partial Mash will give you you beer as good as you can generally buy and AG will get you beer as suited to your own tastes as you can imagine.

Fortunately, both my tastes and imagination are fairly limited and I think the sort of recipe from the Greg Hughes book works for me.

I bought the Greg Hughes book last week and have got the Belgian pale ale brewing at the moment. This book combined with the James Morton books have been my Bibles. James has a great section with alternative hops and yeast that I couldn't do without

51 and have only just started cider making because I've moved to a place with apple trees in the garden, and an apple pressing company just up the road!

It was meant to be!

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tw@tatalk

Haha it was your destiny to brew cider. I've got a mill down the road from where I am so maybe I was meant to brew beer or bake bread but I prefer beer.

Im checking out to see if I can buy some from them and make proper local made and brewed beer.

Back