The age of the average home brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 48 and although I did do a bit when I was 15 (!) I've only really started this year and fingers crossed and the great help of the forum,all seems to be going fine.
I find it rewarding,interesting and relaxing...especially after trying the end product!
I will not be buying beer this Christmas! If they want fosters or boddingtons they know where the offy is!

Cheers

Clint

Now I'm not calling you guys old :whistle:

But I've read a few "ooh my back" and "when the gran kids are over" :lol: and was just curious of the age of you brewers. From what I've read most of you seem to be 50's or 60's and I reckon some of you make the best beer known to man due to years of perfecting.

Im 24 so just in the early steps and have lifetime of brewing to get done and I'm looking forward to perfecting my beer and teaching the gran kids down the line haha.:-?

I was just curious to know the age of you now and when you got into brewing? And your biggest tips and progress through the years.

Never fear - 26 year old here!

Started brewing around a month ago, brewed two kits now and really happy with it all.

Trying to encourage a few more to brew - addictive hobby!

Happy with kits at the moment but would like to try AG in the future to perfect beer to my taste.

I'm another at 32 and started a month ago.

Average age is looking lower than you imagined at the moment! :lol:

Im really quite surprised. It probably comes down to my dad talking about brewing beer for years with his friends. Gives me hope that I might convince a few of my mates to give brewing a go. I've already convinced my dad over a few pints to reignite his interest and he'll be getting a beginner setup for Christmas

Hello children, everywhere, :smile:
I'm 62 in just over two weeks and I've been brewing since last October. The weekly auction at my local WMC included FVs, beer kits, wine kits, DME, bottles, pressure barrels and various small equipment, so it seemed a shame to pass on really cheap deals, so I started brewing. As soon as these kits are gone it's AG for me.

I feel old now!

I am coming up to 63 this Christmas. My first brew was when I was around 14! It was a stout kit, and it smelled terrible (or so I thought), so I poured it down the toilet. Now, I think it was probably fine - I just didn't know what it was supposed to smell like.

I restarted when I was at college, and continued on and off for a few years. Then there was a long gap and I again restarted a few years ago here in France, initially with kits, then boil in the bag and now a 50l Braumeister. The paucity of decent beer (to my taste) around here is the main driving force for me to have invested as much as I have in homebrewing. Hopefully I can develop my skills/knowledge/techniques sufficiently to ensure repeatable results every time!

I was surprised when I started going along to the local club meets and competitions at how young the majority were, I too thought it was more of an older gents hobby.
I'm 33 btw.

39 and I used to brew back when I was about 22. The stuff I churned out then was sky strong I managed to comatose 6 mates after 3 pints and no one ever touched myself again. Not surprising as it was rank.

Now, with age brings wisdom and the desire to see the same friends baulk at the thought that I can create something that doesn't taste like it is going to genetically modify them after 3 pints.

Thus I have read this forum. I have learned from my mistakes and now I am making good quality beer.

I started one year ago now - totally out of the blue as my wife bought me a starter kit for a Christmas present. Best pressie she ever got me. I have brewed 1-2 kits a month since then. I am 42.

51, and been at it for aeons. Started out making kits ( probably John Bull or Tom Caxton ) for me ol' man when I was about 16!

Oh ****!!

I well remember being the youngest man on a ship ...

... and the oldest man on a Production Platform ...

... please let there be someone on the Forum older than my 73 years!

I tried drinking beer back in 1953 aged 10 and couldn't understand how my Dad could possibly drink the stuff! Bleugh!! Terrible taste! :oops: :oops:

However, by 1962 I had developed a taste for beer and had come back home by rail a few times. For the uninitiated "Coming home by rail" means "Crawling along the pavement by grasping the railings"! On one occasion I was actually hauled off the pavement by two policemen and driven back home with the warning "If you throw up in the car we will book you!" Happy days!

By 1966 I was married with two kids (so much for Brewers Droop or drinking beer affecting a man's fertility!) and a mortgage; so to get a beer at all I had to brew my own.

In those days, the kits were rubbish and the only local supplier of brewing ingredients was Boots the Chemist.

Luckily, one of the Shift Superintendents at the refinery where I worked had a fantastic extract recipe so I brewed "Own Recipe Extract Bitter" for lack of a better description. All I remember of the recipe was that it used East Kent Goldings as the bittering and aroma hops.

I brewed beer regularly (including my time spent in Saudi Arabia :whistle:) until the mid 70's. At this time I had two batches go "off" (I honestly didn't know about sanitising everything in those days) and then I moved to Scotland where I discovered that old granite cottages are so cold that they just aren't conducive to brewing beer; so I switched to drinking whisky.

I got back into brewing after I inherited a load of brewing stuff when my brother died. It was all SWMBO's fault (YAY! ) :thumb: when she asked "What are you going to do with all Joe's stuff that is cluttering up the shed." so I came back to brewing a couple of years ago after a +30 year break.

An expert? Not really.

I've made most of the mistakes that people make; and still make them.

I have learned that sanitising everything is an absolute "Must Do!".

I have learned patience but I haven't cured my natural clumsiness.

I mix by brews between All Grain and Extract to suit my mood and the time available.

Come on. Please! We have to have someone on the Forum older than me! :doh: :doh:

32 here. Got a wherry starter kit for my 31st birthday, then started AG in March after a bargain find on Gumtree.

27, I think the average age of a homebrewer has reduced dramatically since the real ale and craft ale boom, more and more wanting to do a "BrewDog".

I'm 44 but I've been brewing on and off since my second year at Uni, I was 19 then.

It's my Dad's fault, he'd been brewing all sorts of stuff from as far back as I can remember so I got him to teach me the basics before I got my own brewing underway.

Oh ****!!

I well remember being the youngest man on a ship ...

... and the oldest man on a Production Platform ...

... please let there be someone on the Forum older than my 73 years!:

At 64 I claim the the second oldest spot.....sorry Dutto, can't match your achievement:lol:

At 40 years young I am really enjoying making my own beer. started when a work colleague mentioned he had a starter kit that he never used and was moving home and was going to bin it. So a FV and bits and bob, bought a coopers Real Ale kit and off I went

Latest posts

Back