Rookie mistake...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrL73

Reaction score
So this is my first brew using my brew fridge and stc temperature controller thingy... the initial fermentation went well, nicely controlled etc and tasted promising at the bottling stage. However... since returning to the fridge for secondary fermentation in the bottles, my positioning of the heat source in conjunction with the temperature sensor means that the bottles at the top of the fridge are bloody hot, the ones at the bottom are okay. I had to move it around to fit everything in.

My question is are the ones that have got heated up (approx 50°c... Yeah I know) trash now? Or can they be saved? I'm thinking the secondary has probably been finished or killed off at that temperature so they may well be flat... but will they be drinkable?

Mainly because I am an idiot... had to move the heater element to the top of the fridge to fit all the bottles in... but left the temp sensor down the bottom... hot air doing what it does best and rising meant the top bottles got cooked while the sensor stayed relatively ambient. D'oh.

Try one and see, i would tend to open it outside on the off chance it gushes, a good chilling and it may be passable, there are lots of countries where beer isn't stored in the best of places and its ok.

Make sure you have small fans on circulating the air. It really helps.

I popped one in the fridge to check and when opened it was nicely carbonated, tastes okay and overall I have high hopes for the brew.

Dodged a bullet I think!

Latest posts

Back