Clearing Kit Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonibee

Reaction score
I'm doing a Magnum medium dry white. It's in the secondary bucket for six days now, post degassing and fining and, in theory, ready to bottle.

However, when I shine a torch through the bucket I can see fine particles in suspension, and particles (or possibly) bubbles on the side of the bucket. The last (and first) med-dry wine I did had a small amount of sediment in each bottle inspite of it 'looking' very clear at this stage (I didn't shine a light through that, I just looked at it).

So I'm thinking to rack it to demi-johns, agitate regularly to ensure it's properly degassed and then leave to settle further for a week or two before bottling.

Is that the right approach? Is there a better, or recommended approach to ensuring kit wines are properly cleared? I don't know enough about finings to be confident about buying and adding more finings.

You don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to use these Finings ...

https://www.homebrewcentregy.com/wine-making/wine-finings

Instructions are:

Add 1-2 ml of Kieselsol (Bottle A) per gallon, stir well and leave for 30 minutes.

Then add 1-2 ml of Gelatine (Bottle B) and stir well. Leave to clear and then rack off the sediment, usually this will be within 72 hours.

This pack will clear up to 135 litres of wine or beer.

Enjoy. :thumb:

I use Kwik clear on my supermarket juice wines but there is no need to use them as the kit has its own.

I tnink the wine had not finished fermenting as you didn't mention a hydrometer reading and that can cause the fining to not clear the wine properly as the CO2 bubbles hold the sediment.

I use Kwik clear on my supermarket juice wines but there is no need to use them as the kit has its own.

I tnink the wine had not finished fermenting as you didn't mention a hydrometer reading and that can cause the fining to not clear the wine properly as the CO2 bubbles hold the sediment.

It had finished. There was no activity in airlock for two days and FG was 996 on two consecutive days.

Ok i assumed as you didn't mention taking a reading you had relied on the airlock.

That's fine. I'm still new to this so I'm taking good care to follow instructions and I'm tending to leave things a little longer than the instructions say. I guess it will take a few goes to figure out the trouble spots :lol:

Back