SG/total sugars for maximum alcohol?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Im wanting to try a WOW with the *maximum* possible alcohol content!

I have Youngs Dessert/High Alcohol yeast, and believe that with this I should be able to push 18% or beyond, but my hydrometer % scale tops out before that!

So what SG, and/or starting total sugar content, should I be looking at?

Im happy to experiment with this one, as its already experimental - a RGJ and tropical fruits wow. If I can aim for some residual sweetness as well...

to-infinity-and-beyond.jpg

The sugar content is discussed in the link.

If you mean for a standard wow there isn't really an answer as i believe wine yeast is not designed to go much above 13%, if you get a high alcohol yeast it will tell you how much to add.

I have Youngs Dessert/High Alcohol, which states 18% but I cant see any info specific to that yeast for the sugars,

After some digging about ive found a table that shows 352g/L, so im going to go with that, maybe just a tad more

You could always use the brewers friend recipe builder and add sugar rather than grain to get to the gravity you want.

I have Youngs Dessert/High Alcohol, which states 18% but I cant see any info specific to that yeast for the sugars,

After some digging about ive found a table that shows 352g/L, so im going to go with that, maybe just a tad more

That matches my roughly 19g per L per 1% ABV remember to allow for sugar already in the fruit juice.

well, its started! SG 1150. Smells amazing, tastes like tropical sunny delight only sweeter but without the 'chemically' flavouring.

Now for a couple of weeks wait...

Nice one I didn't know it would be useful for wine and cider makers as well as beer brewers.

I bet it's still fermenting, it will probably top out at around 1.014-1.020 and will be a sweet wine. The last 1.5% takes ages to complete as the yeast (rated 18%) really struggles above 16% and it just takes time.

while i would never consider making a 20%+ cider!! i fully commend the "i want to push it as far as i can go" attitude :thumb1:
cant wait to see what it comes out at

I bet it's still fermenting, it will probably top out at around 1.014-1.020 and will be a sweet wine. The last 1.5% takes ages to complete as the yeast (rated 18%) really struggles above 16% and it just takes time.

Well, its finished. And your right - stopped at 1.022, about 16-17%.

Slightly disappointed that it didnt get higher, but really pleased with the flavour! It is quite sweet but not overpoweringly so, and the tropical flavours are prominent.

Was surprised that this recipe produced a heck of a lot of pulp!

Well, its finished. And your right - stopped at 1.022, about 16-17%.

Slightly disappointed that it didnt get higher, but really pleased with the flavour! It is quite sweet but not overpoweringly so, and the tropical flavours are prominent.

Was surprised that this recipe produced a heck of a lot of pulp!

You sure it's stopped? Did you stabilse/camden, as I would suggest you do so before bottling as there might be a little left in the yeast. Or use strong champayne type bottles for some fizz.

Back