First forray into making wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ni9e

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok thought about making wine for a while but tonight I finally got round to giving it a go...... twice in fact.
First off I used pure grape juice from aldi @ 56p a ltr so bought 4 added one tsp citric acid one tsp yeast nutrient and one pack of wilkies wine yeast. SG was 1072 so I never added any sugar I have no idea how this will turn out but hoping for something drinkable :pray:

Ingredients

BILD0076.jpg

All thrown into DJ and yeast added

BILD0077.jpg

After a vigourous shaking air lock attached and put in pride of place :D

BILD0080.jpg

Second up was the strawberry wine from wilkies followed the instructions on the tin but also treated the water with half a crushed camden tablet. It smelt fantastic when making if it tastes half as good as it smelt i'll be happy :grin:

Ingredients

BILD0081.jpg

The pint of genius was not an ingredient but essential for the making of the wine highly recomended :rofl:

Finished and taken pride of place next to the grape juice concoction

BILD0082.jpg

All in all an easy step into winemaking just hope the results are worth waiting for but fun never the less :thumb:

Sounds like you enjoyed putting those together ni9e :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out - you never know - i may be tempted myself :shock: :)

Wez said:
Looking forward to seeing how they turn out - you never know - i may be tempted myself :shock: :)

Go on you know you want to if I can do it anyone can :rofl:

:grin:

I will this year - you've made it sound real easy too - :clap:

you've still got that Genius?!?! you must've brewed that about 2 months ago IIRC?

nice one on the double brewday mate :thumb:

BrewStew said:
you've still got that Genius?!?! you must've brewed that about 2 months ago IIRC?

:

I made 2 brews then a drought of a month because SWMBO was due so i'm on my second keg now with a brew day planned for next week :party: i'm gonna try a amarillo genius next :thumb:

welcome to wine making :thumb:

i hope the results are good and you are encouraged to do more

crE said:
The strawbeery wine looks awful red - is it actually a strawberry red wine? - I imagined it being more like a rose :hmm:

It does look dark but i'm driving blind I suppose it'll go lighter as it ferments there both bubbling away merrily :grin:

Update on the Aldi grape juice wine it is suprisingly a very tasty wine a bit dry but very drinkable.
For my first attempt at making wine I am cuffed that the end result is drinkable if anyone is thinking of making it I cannot recomend it enough :thumb:

Strawberry is still clearing I had a sneaky taste last night it is very nice I'm of to wilko's to get another one as when its bottled it won't last long :D I'm gonna put on a white grape juice on next aldi trip :thumb:

Back