Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Apple Scratter / crusher

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 14-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
happybonzo

Likes Given: 4

Default Apple Scratter / crusher

We make our own Cider and have used a manual Scratter up until now.

Has anyone tried or used one of these off Ebay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...AAAOSwFAZTtvNS

We have been looking at the Speidel Apple Mill or the Fruit Shark, both of which come out considerably more money.

We have tried a garden shredder but found that it clogged too quickly although we do know people who have used them successfully.

Old 14-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
scott78

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

if you have large cooking apples you might want to ask how wide that opening is, if you control the rate you chuck them in it should be fine.

Old 14-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
vassili

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hi there,
We hired the spiedel from our local orchard group last year, we were so impressed that this year we bought our own. Yes it's a large outlay, but it transforms half a ton of apples into a sloppy porridge in less than half an hour. We worked out that on pub prices ours paid for itself and some in one hours work.
People Like This 
Old 15-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
MattH1973

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 21

interesting thread. I am considering the same upgrade. There is one on amazon for about £280 I have been thinking about (cant be bothered to post a link as its easy enough to find). A local cider company has also offered to lend me theirs for a weekend, but by the time I have driven there and back twice I suspect I could have scratted most of the apples manually !

if another option doesn't emerge I will probably try the amazon one, as it has good reviews.

Old 15-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
MagnusTS

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 299

We have a slightly larger version of the eBay link for our allotment juicing day. It’s awesome. I only had about 8 kg apples, chucked them in whole, instantly scratted to perfect consistency for pressing.

Old 15-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
scott78

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

the main factor to consider is how much cider you plan to make per season. the one you have found looks fine for a few hundred liters of juice a day.
happybonzo Likes This