Pale ale not fully fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eannak

Reaction score
Hi All.
I brew pale ale from the grain. I've been doing it for a couple of years and it was going just fine.

My last 3 batches have not fermented fully and i'm ending up with a brew of about 2.7% when it should be 6%.
My last batch the OG was 1.056. After a week fermenting the gravity was 1.030

I'm not sure if it's the temperature because the first couple of days they were bubbling away and all seemed ok but for whatever reason i'm not getting my gravity down to around 1.001.
:hmm:
I'm not doing anything differently as far as I know.

Can anyone help me? I don't know what to do to fix it. :hmm:

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks
Eannak

Well I am no expert and if you have been doing AG for a few years I dont wish to teach a granny to suck eggs

Sound your thermomemter be out causing the mash temp to be out?

Or are you reusing yeast or something.. what yeast are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

I've been Brewing AG intermittently for two years. Not consistently but am only recently having fermenting issues.
I'm not sure about my thermometer but I do know that my original gravity on my latest batch is 1.056 which is pretty standard for wort.

I can only assume the mash was ok at 67c.

No I don't reuse the yeast. I use dried yeast from a packet and sprinkle it in when i'm draining my boiler to the fermenter. This is what i've always done.

It's probably the temperature but i always wrap it up in blankets to keep it warm.

Seems very odd. What temperature is the beer at when it is fermenting?

I think the yeast is SAFALE US-05 YEAST (11.5G). The guy in the shop recommended i use it.

I transfer it into the fermenter at 20c and the weather has been very hot here recently.

Maybe the yeast is old or poorly stored and hasn't enough live cells.

You need to monitor the temperature and prevent it rising too high. Not above 23ish.

OK i'll keep that in mind next time. Living in Ireland the last thing i'd ever worry about is the temperature being too high!:-)

Thanks

What is the lowest temp will it ferment at?

From Wyeast

Inadequate oxygenation will lead to inadequate yeast growth. Inadequate yeast growth can cause poor attenuation, inconsistent or long fermentations, production of undesirable flavor and aroma compounds, and produces yeast that are not fit for harvesting and re-pitching

It sounds like it may be a lack of aeration/oxygen for the yeast especially on a brew with OG 1056. You are getting towards the threshold of 1060 that would require a double dose.

No I don't reuse the yeast. I use dried yeast from a packet and sprinkle it in when i'm draining my boiler to the fermenter. This is what i've always done.

You are pitching the yeast into the fermenter and not the boiler and draining it through?

From Wyeast

It sounds like it may be a lack of aeration/oxygen for the yeast especially on a brew with OG 1056. You are getting towards the threshold of 1060 that would require a double dose.

You are pitching the yeast into the fermenter and not the boiler and draining it through?

Yeah i'm pitching the yeast into the fermenter while draining if from the boiler tap into the fermenter. It drains from a small height so i thought this would aerate it.
Anything else I can do the increase aeration?

It should do but with a brew of 1056 you really cant have enough oxygen for the health of the yeast.

Give it a good stir with your sanitized brewers spoon/paddle for at least a minute (the more the merrier). Alternatively, get a paint stirrer and use your electric drill to give is a good seeing to (possibly best not to use the old rusty one in the shed).

Just a thought but you say you transfer the yeast from the pot to the FV.. I assume its cooled before you throw the yeast in there??

I think Clibit might be on to something too.. US05 normally attenuates high often 80% so it could be old.??

Just a thought but you say you transfer the yeast from the pot to the FV.. I assume its cooled before you throw the yeast in there??

Yes - is the wort cooled to 20 ish before pitching? Pitching at 40 or above would kill or seriously damage the yeast. Pitching above 30 will affect the beer significantly, unless the temperature was quickly reduced to below 25.

Aeration could well be contributing but the yeast doesn't sound too healthy.

Yeah i cooled the wort to 20c before pitching the yeast.

Hopefully it's the aeration.

also, sprinkling/dry pitching your yeast can kill half of it. so if Its old anyway and you've sprinkled it, AND you haven't aerated enough, might all combine to a stuck fermentation

Ideally, rehydrate dried yeast before pitching

Latest posts

Back