Yet another stuck fermentation question!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
So I've got my first AG still in the FV. I brewed it on 11.6 and hit an SG of 1042.
I used S04 yeast, and after 2 weeks it was only at 1028. I gave it a stir, warmed it up a bit and 10 days down the line it's still only at 1026!

Should I, at this point, be thinking about adding more yeast? If so, should I use the same yeast again (ie S04)?

It smells and tasted pretty awesome, so I'm looking forward to getting it in bottles. Not that I would ever rush these things of course.. :grin:

As ever, any and all advice greatfuly received.

Cheers.

It's got working yeast in it already so don't add more. I've just had a stuck fermentation (1018) and resorted to a packet of amylase which I got off ebay for 2 quid - instant restart of fermentation (well by next day anyway). Amylase breaks down complex carbs to stuff yeast can handle. Maybe your mash was a bit high temperature, that can result in too many complex carbs.

It's got working yeast in it already so don't add more. I've just had a stuck fermentation (1018) and resorted to a packet of amylase which I got off ebay for 2 quid - instant restart of fermentation (well by next day anyway). Amylase breaks down complex carbs to stuff yeast can handle. Maybe your mash was a bit high temperature, that can result in too many complex carbs.
Great advice. I've read books and almost every historic post from this group and that's my conclusion too. yeast works on different sugars and converts them in different orders. brews can get stuck when the yeast consumes one type of sugar but then ignores the other types. Gravity only reflects all sugars so sucrose, glucose, fructose and maltose all effect the gravity. Fermentation can get stuck if there is lots of glucose is in the wort because yeast stops before eating the maltose so something needs to be done to make existing yeast eat that.
Does the amylase do that?

Usual stuck fermentation advice try:

- a good stir
- get the temp up, 21C or more
- add some fementables such as 150g sugar dissolved in a little water.

If it doesnt' work try the amylase enzyme

Didn't read your OP properly, I see you've tried the first 2

Great advice as ever guys, thanks.

I think I'll add some sugar today and see how it goes. I'll pick some amylase enzyme up at the LHBS tomorrow if need be.

One more question if I may. It's only a 10 litre batch so would 150g of sugar be too much of would that still be ok?

Thanks again :)

A quick update for anyone who might be interested, I dissolved 70g of sugar in some water and chucked it in. It started bubbling away nicely within a few hours. Fingers crossed I be sipping my first AG in a few weeks! :drink:

I'm still scratching my head on this one. I added the sugar, it bubbled away for a couple of days then stopped again. Took a gravity reading: 1024.

Then I added amylase, the bottle said 1 tsp per 4.5 litres. It's a 10 litre batch so 2 good spoonfuls went in and... Nothing!

Am I just gonna settle for a weak beer on this one?

SOmething Cwrw666 mentioned, possibly your mash temp was a bit high? what temp do you think you mashed at ? and it also might be worth checking your thermometre for accuracy

Well, I 'think' I mashed at 66. I have one of those glass thermometers and a Kilner jam thermometer. I used both and they both read the same. But maybe they're both out! Do you reckon a bit more amylase would have any benefit or should I just settle for asub 3% and bottle anyway?

Back