ok time to do the real stuff need help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeighton_1

Reaction score
Hi every one
I'll start of by saying this forum is great you get to know things and advice

I'd like to get your advice on a simple brew from scratch
Lets say a pale ale
which
(a) doesn't cost a fortune
(b) is simple as this is my first brew from the pan
I'm going to buy a 6.3L stainless steel pan from argos for £9.99 should be big enough
advice on wheres best to get the ingredients and whats the ingredients and how to make it,
It would be great if the advice came from someone who is going to the Morley bottle swap as i could give them a bottle to try and let me know what they thought of it as they would have made it
but all advice is great even if its for future reference

so I'll say thank you in advance and wish me luck :hmm::?:thumb:

The thread already exists and got me into All Grain.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

Hi every one
I'll start of by saying this forum is great you get to know things and advice

I'd like to get your advice on a simple brew from scratch
Lets say a pale ale
which
(a) doesn't cost a fortune
(b) is simple as this is my first brew from the pan
I'm going to buy a 6.3L stainless steel pan from argos for £9.99 should be big enough
advice on wheres best to get the ingredients and whats the ingredients and how to make it,
It would be great if the advice came from someone who is going to the Morley bottle swap as i could give them a bottle to try and let me know what they thought of it as they would have made it
but all advice is great even if its for future reference

so I'll say thank you in advance and wish me luck :hmm::?:thumb:

i looked at the thread and the video is for stout I'm after a pale ale as i just done a coopers stout

PLANNING
All Grain Pale ale

BREWING
Youngs Cider (Planning on splitting into 2 half flavoured and the other as it comes)
Red grape, Strawberry & Kiwi WOW
Apple & Peach WOW
Honey mead
Wilko's Black Cherry wine

BOTTLED
Geordie Yorkshire Bitter ( been 3 weeks soon be ready)
Coopers Stout with add tin of Black treacle (needs 4 weeks)

I bought a cool box which holds the temperature very well. I think this is critical for maximising sugars that we need. That's the only thing that I think you could improve on.

My first Stout turned out brilliant.

The video may well be for a different type of beer but the principles are still the same.
If you are looking for a small batch pale ale recipe there are loads knocking around, it also might be worth googling small batch recipies.

An alternative might be to give beersmith a go, i havent used it personally but im lead to believe it will point you in the right direction for any style beer. There are many people on here that can suggest recipies or where to find them, however im not one of them. Do abit of digging or even try and find a book that best suits your needs if you cant find what your looking for here.

I'd get a bigger pan. For a 5 litre brew you are going to need at least 6 litres of water and it will need headroom during the boil. Also if you are going to use BIAB it will overflow your pan at 6.3 litres.

Another vote for a larger pan, got my 15l stockpot off ebay - made of quite thin metal so will probably upgrade at some point but certainly the size for minimashes and small volume all grain is good..

Been to my local asda and they don't have anything big enough so it looks like eBay looking at around £12 for a 11L or Up to £15 for a 15L
That size pan I'm wondering how long it's going to take to get to temp as I have a electric hob one of those glass top ones

I have a glass top (non induction) electric hob and the cheap ebay stockpot works very well for me - go 15 litre, They hold a little less liquid than 15l as you can only fill them up to where the handles are rivetted through (I think 12 litres or so in a '15l' pot).

Check if your hob is an 'induction' one - read on here someone who bought an ebay stockpot but it didn't work with their induction hob.

If you turn one of your hob rings on with no pan on top of it and it gets hot (with no pan present) its not an induction hob and you should be fine with an ebay stockpot.

Back