Carbonation in King keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Eey oop gang,

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to get their beer carb'd up in a king keg? Obviously there are minor issues with the kegs, buy I quite like them to be honest. It's just that it looks like they're not much cop for getting a good level of carbonation into your beer when using them. Not like a bottle anyway...
Any
Ideas?

Ey oop TRD,

A few tips from me.

- Use PTFE tape on the thread of the KK for a better seal with the lid
- Vaseline your 'O' ring well and make sure it is seated properly (...this not a euphemism btw ;-))
- if you like well carbonated beer maybe try a little more priming sugar than suggested, there is an auto release valve if the pressure gets too much and it gives you some wriggle room if you can fix a small leak quickly
- Check for even small leaks by using a soapy sponge to get bubbles around the lid and tap. The bubbles will grow if there is a leak as secondary fermentation releases CO2. If money is no object, a blast of CO2 from a will make these more obvious.
- You're not going to be able to force carb in a KK, but once you have it air tight, a blast of CO2 will maximise absorption
- If I get a good seal on a tap, I bloody well leave it and spray it with starsan for a few batches. Eventually it probably needs a good clean, but I've not had infections after around 6 batches without removing (I do the same with my fermenters too!)

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

I love a well carbonated pale ale from a keg!

Good luck :thumb:

Ey oop TRD,

A few tips from me.

- Use PTFE tape on the thread of the KK for a better seal with the lid
- Vaseline your 'O' ring well and make sure it is seated properly (...this not a euphemism btw ;-))
- if you like well carbonated beer maybe try a little more priming sugar than suggested, there is an auto release valve if the pressure gets too much and it gives you some wriggle room if you can fix a small leak quickly
- Check for even small leaks by using a soapy sponge to get bubbles around the lid and tap. The bubbles will grow if there is a leak as secondary fermentation releases CO2. If money is no object, a blast of CO2 from a will make these more obvious.
- You're not going to be able to force carb in a KK, but once you have it air tight, a blast of CO2 will maximise absorption
- If I get a good seal on a tap, I bloody well leave it and spray it with starsan for a few batches. Eventually it probably needs a good clean, but I've not had infections after around 6 batches without removing (I do the same with my fermenters too!)

I'm sure there will be other suggestions.

I love a well carbonated pale ale from a keg!

Good luck :thumb:

Arrh, champion!
So there is hope, good news!
I did think maybe my kegs would be for beers that only have that low level effervescence rather than proper carbing going on.
Like the idea of ptfe tape on the thread, I shall go and get some.
I think I lubed my ring properly ;-)
But I shall make sure next time.
Also, did you have to carefully sand the top of the keg where it meets the o-ring? That's another thing I read somewhere...
Is the valve adjustable?

Arrh, champion!
So there is hope, good news!
I did think maybe my kegs would be for beers that only have that low level effervescence rather than proper carbing going on.
Like the idea of ptfe tape on the thread, I shall go and get some.
I think I lubed my ring properly ;-)
But I shall make sure next time.
Also, did you have to carefully sand the top of the keg where it meets the o-ring? That's another thing I read somewhere...
Is the valve adjustable?

I take great care never to use sandpaper on either my rim or my o ring! :eek:

Seriously though, I don't recommend any abrasives on plastic used in brewing. The little scratches are the type of places bacteria can lurk and might not get sanitiser on - especially around the lid.

You won't get any fizz with a pressure barrel, you'll get more of a draught pint that has that lovely draw as it clears in the glass. That's why I prefer English bitter styles in a PB, and pales etc from a bottle. I think the different beer styles suit different delivery.

I'm coming to the end of a 21L Thomas Coopers wheat beer in a King Keg and haven't had to add any CO2 bulbs. I did add 120g of brewing sugar for carbonation which may have been a bit heavy going. So far I've not a problem with of my 2 KK's regarding losing pressure.

I take great care never to use sandpaper on either my rim or my o ring! :eek:

Seriously though, I don't recommend any abrasives on plastic used in brewing. The little scratches are the type of places bacteria can lurk and might not get sanitiser on - especially around the lid.

That's a good point, well made!
But I must add it did say it's got to be a very fine sand paper like an 800 or something? Glad you said that though mate, i was gonna give it some of my 120 I have lying about!

You won't get any fizz with a pressure barrel, you'll get more of a draught pint that has that lovely draw as it clears in the glass. That's why I prefer English bitter styles in a PB, and pales etc from a bottle. I think the different beer styles suit different delivery.

Well that's kind of my point matey, so I take it you haven't had any luck either? I figured the same as you, IPA's and PA's from a bottle and the bitters and ales from the kegs but wanted to see if anyone had got good results from a kk

I'm coming to the end of a 21L Thomas Coopers wheat beer in a King Keg and haven't had to add any CO2 bulbs. I did add 120g of brewing sugar for carbonation which may have been a bit heavy going. So far I've not a problem with of my 2 KK's regarding losing pressure.

I think once you get to know them, losing pressure isn't and issue but did you get a well carbed pint? Or just effervescence?

I think once you get to know them, losing pressure isn't and issue but did you get a well carbed pint? Or just effervescence?

Well carbed I would say. A huge head with it so takes a bit of time to pour! So a bit of both. I'm not complaining as it's far from flat!

Well that's kind of my point matey, so I take it you haven't had any luck either? I figured the same as you, IPA's and PA's from a bottle and the bitters and ales from the kegs but wanted to see if anyone had got good results from a kk

It's not really that I haven't had any luck, I wouldn't expect a kk to give fizz in the first place. The carbonation in the barrel is used to force the beer out, whereas in a bottle it's not forcing the beer out, so is released more gently when the bottle opens.

Just go with whichever you prefer for each style of beer.

Made the mistake of adding some co2 as well as priming last time and it was very well carbed with a massive head more suitable for pouring into a jug.

Ah cool, so carbed as in 'bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass?'
Not just a massive head. I get loads of head but no bubbles in the beer.
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow but I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

Ah cool, so carbed as in 'bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass?'
Not just a massive head. I get loads of head but no bubbles in the beer.
Sorry if I'm being a bit slow but I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

No not being slow and yes plenty of bubbles. Been thinking could siphon some into swing top glass bottles for the evenings drinking as seems to carb up a lot quicker than my bottles. Looks more like a pub pint.

Latest posts

Back