A second dog...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Our dog is a 2 yr old Border Terrier. He's a champion little fella and the pair of us love him dearly. My wife didn't like dogs untill i managed to convince her that they were cool and she fell in love with our friends Border terrier. So we got our own. She now is all soppy over him and is quite into dogs. Not scared of them anymore. Which is great.

The dog i grew up with and the dogs i love are boxers. But wifey hasn't been too keen on getting another dog cos she thinks Herbie won't love her if there's another dog around. :roll: She's also not too keen on big dogs. In the last week she's met a real soppy Rhodesian Ridgeback and last night at our friends, they convinced her it would be good for little, fat, lazy Herbie to have a friend. Today she's found some boxer puppies she likes too. :thumb:

So after years of trying, begging etc i finally get to have another Boxer. :D :D :D

I've never had two dogs at once before. Is there some tips you guys could give me here? I don't want Herbie to feel another dog is getting more attention or create a rivalry. But the Boxer will need to spend more time with me as they need lots of input whilst young to get them trained.

We've singled out these breeders boxers, they have a great reputation and the dogs look superb. The hardest part now is deciding if we want a red or a brindle... then waiting for a litter. :D

Hi,

we have had Teddy ( the golden retreiver) for 2 years but when we had another dog to stay for a couple of weeks he was so miserable when he was on his own again. We adopted Zac the Black Lab cross mutt from a rescue charity- he is now 5 months ago and they have fun together all day long. Best thing ever.
I would not hesitate to get a second dog. Not really much more work either. Good luck.
Pete
2965737700_c044bfa3eb_b.jpg

2875556569_6ae1f9e855_b.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting the boxer. I think little Herbie will enjoy having a friend to hang out with. :cool:

slightly different question in addition to MEB's (i dont mean to thread hijack though) has anyone had success with introducing a puppy to cats that have already taken residence? cos i'm giving serious thought to getting a spaniel but i'm not sure how my two cats would take it :?

I've dealt with that a few times. The cat teaches the dog that it is the boss. If you don't encourage your dog to chase cats then it won't be much of an issue. The dog will only get a few whacks on the nose before it stops. You've been scratched by a cat? Imagine it on the end of your nose. ;)

ouch! yeah that's what i figured would happen, the cats being boss n all. we'll see what happens then :thumb:

When I was younger I Once saw one of my cats do that to a neighbours dog that was completely wild. The cat was sat on the path in our back garden, the dog walked past the chain link fence at the bottom of the garden, saw the cat, jumped the fence and hurtled up to it barking and givin' t large. The cat only moved once, and you had to be quick to see it, straight down the nose. The dog let out an almighty yelp turned through 90 degrees and tried to run home . . . straight into the chain link fence, turned through 180 and tried to get away in that direction . . . straight into another chain link fence . . . dumb mutt did it three times :rofl: it was about 15 minutes before I could walk in a straight line I came really close to p*ssing myself

:rofl:

i'll never forget staying round a mates house when i was a littlern. he had a cat and a dog, but they used to play fight.

one time the dog walked past the sofa where the cat was sitting and the cat jumped on the dogs back, the dog went nuts and ran around like crazy, the cat still clinging on... it wasn't until he tried to run through the patio door that he realised it was closed and smacked straight into it... the cat also! the poor dog was a bit stunned but was ok. me and my mate were rolling all over the floor laughin our heads of :lol:

Latest posts

Back