Ginger Beer Experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail59

Regular.
Reaction score
Ive been having problems with making a decent Ginger Beer. Tried the recipe on here 3 times and not had good results :cry: . So I decided to get the Coopers Ginger Beet kit and give it a whirl and see how that came out. Placed my order with Hop & Grape but kit out of stock. But the nice man who phoned to say it was out of stock gave Mrs Snail instructions on how to make a Mother culture to brew Ginger Beer from. So here goes.

ONE JAR
Put into jar One teaspoon of ground ginger, One teaspoon of sugar, One teaspoon of yeast (bakers yeast) and half fill with water.

Ginge.jpg

Feed the jar with a teaspoon of sugar and ginger every day for a week. Take liquid off the forming syrup after a week and throw it away. Repeat proccess for another week. Take liquid off the top of the syrup and make up to a gallon. Add sugar & SO4 yeast ferment as normal. The contents of the jar can be continualy fed to give a supply of ginger beer.

Anyone tried this???????.

The Ginger Beer Plant has now been fed on Brown Sugar & Ground Ginger for a week. The Liquid has been drawn off and thrown away as instructed (yes we did try it and we know why it has to be thrown away :sick: .). Now it has to be fed for another week then the liqued drawn off and put in a DJ. Add Sugar and water to make up to 5lts Pitch some yeast and ferment.

Not sure I like the look of that, you're a braver man than I.

So if it all goes horribly wrong, can I have your brewing stuff? Minus what the hazmat team quarantines, ofc!!

On a more serious note, I'd really like to know how this turns out. I love ginger beer but my first attempt at making it is now a wine, due to a minor error when adding sugar.

Hi S,
I used to do ginger beer a few years ago, can't remember exactly how it did it, but it iinvolve feeding a plant, using halve and giving other to a friend etc. The results were fine but if not drunk quickly it I did end up with a dangerous level of carbonation, all the contents erupted into a fountain several feet high, nothing in the bottle to drink. :shock: :cry: :eek: :( :nono: It was dangerous so I gave it up. :nono:
Now that I have a bit more knowledge I might give it another go, so am watching your progress with interest.
I like ginger beer so it could be worth a go for summer. :D

The Experiment continues. :party:
The Plant has been fed ginger & Sugar for a week and is now ready to be fermented. :thumb:
The Liquer is drawn off
Gin1.jpg

400grams of sugar and the ginger liquer is added to water with a tea spoon of youngs ale yeast
G2.jpg

Then water is added back onto the Mother to start a new plant
G3.jpg

And the cycle begins again.

Ater this plant has been fed for a week once the liquer has been drawn off the mother will need to be split to create a 2nd plant. So if anyone lives in the south Linc's area they are welcome to come and collect a Ginger Beer plant.

Bottled this yesterday. Think I may have done it too early. Og was 1.035 after 15 days it was only down to 1.020. Used Youngs Ale Yeast so dont know how low that should go. Bit worried about bottle bombs so as there in swing tops I poped the tops tonight so they should be ok now. Give them another 3 days in the kitchen then its out into the garage with them. Not sure how this will turn out it was a little sweet and not very heavy on ginger flavour either. Got another to get started tonight but this one has been fed useing Ground Ginger and Brown sugar. Oh well if this dont work think I might just give up with Ginger Beer.

Latest posts

Back