Originally Posted by Vinotinto
Fancy giving this a go GDog so when you have time please can you give us the final version with accurate update on Campdens and sugar etc? Stage by stage ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½ï¿½
No worries mate, here you go:
6 litres Asda Red Grape
150 g dried elderberries
- Thoroughly 150g rinse elderberries in running warm water over a sieve.
- Place elderberries in a large pyrex jug/bowl, pour 1 litre boiling water over, cover in clingfilm and leave a good few hours.
- Pour the liquid off into a FV/Bucket.
- Wash and sterilise hands, and get stuck in squishing the life out of the berries. If you don't want purple fingers, you could use the end of a rolling pin (covered in clingfilm, or you'll ruin it), but try not to crush the pips.
- Chuck the squished berries into the bucket.
- Add 2 tsp pectolase
****- Crush 2 camden tablets, and add to the bucket, and leave 24hrs****
- The following day, add 6 litres Asda Red Grape to bucket.
- Dissolve 1240 g in a litre of boiling water, chuck in bucket.
- Add 2 tsp super yeast compound.
- Stir 2-3 times a day for 4 days.
- Place a straining bag over a large funnel (wilko do a HUGE one), and pour the bucket equally into two Demijohns. Top up each DJ right to the top with mineral water, and add airlock. Never froths a bit.
- Allow to ferment out, and bubbles to stop. I tend to leave an additional week, as there seems always to be activity still in the DJ.
- Rack onto 1 Camden tablet per DJ, and degass by whatever method you prefer.
- Leave to clear naturally, and bottle.
You could of course half everything and do just a gallon, which I have also done once fermenting the lot in a plastic 5 litre water bottle, but I've found with the additional **** on using dried elderberries you may as well make 12 bottles as it's no more work really. I'm planning a triple batch as soon as I get more berries from the LHBS.
N.B 1. I've made batches both WITH the camden tablets early on (where ****stars**** are shown), and without, and I've had no problems without. Maybe the boiling water is enough to kill any bugs, and I'm sticking with that from now on to reduce headaches.
N.B 2. I've stopped using finings, as my wilko sachets contains suplhites. I'm also in no rush to drink, as a batches that I made at the beginning of Feb are much better now. In fact, I've just made a batch I plan leaving bottled for 3 months before even tasting. (hence the Camden at final racking)
I've not measured the initial SG, but I reckon it's the same as the earlier attempts (1.1) where I used more berries (200g), but slightly less sugar.(1200g)
Final SG has been 0.990 - 0.994 on various batches. Normally 0.990.