Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Beaverdale and other Kits

Old 18-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
thebrewer

Default Beaverdale and other Kits

I drink beaverdale all the time now ive tried all the kits and beaverdale turn out the best, All my family and friends thinks its the stuff i bought out the supermarket

Old 20-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Vinotinto

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Beaverdale and other Kits

well it is occasionally nice and appropriate to dig out an old post but......

I now have to agree. Having tried a few of the more up market kits, (Kenridge, CC etc ) I keep coming back to the Beaverdale by choice. The Pinot Noir is excellent especially when patience is applied to the initial brewing.

Now, that said, having had a few Pinot Noir kits done very successfully (imo), I need to ask....... can any of you REALLY recommend any of the other Beaverdale varieties before I plunge in. I know it is the coward's way out but with there being so many to chose from I do not want to turn another 40 squids to cooking juice I can help it.

Old 20-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #3
BeerCat

Liked 463 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
well it is occasionally nice and appropriate to dig out an old post but......

I now have to agree. Having tried a few of the more up market kits, (Kenridge, CC etc ) I keep coming back to the Beaverdale by choice. The Pinot Noir is excellent especially when patience is applied to the initial brewing.

Now, that said, having had a few Pinot Noir kits done very successfully (imo), I need to ask....... can any of you REALLY recommend any of the other Beaverdale varieties before I plunge in. I know it is the coward's way out but with there being so many to chose from I do not want to turn another 40 squids to cooking juice I can help it.
How long before its drinkable? I fancy trying a 6 bottle kit but its nearly £15 so have never got around to it.

Old 20-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #4
simon12

Liked 152 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have done a few beaverdale kits and they are great. Drinkable very young but get better and better so I would recommend at least 3 months but only if you are in a real hurry as its best after 6+. The 2 I have done are merlot and the one that used to be called rioja but was rebranded rojo tinto or something both as good as each other in my opinion.

Old 20-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
GDog

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I've not made many kits, where does Beaverdale fit in on scale? Low-Mid like a Cellar 7, or more like the CC ?

CC Rojo Tinto is next on my list, but just a gallon to see if Its nice

Old 20-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #6
chewie

Liked 254 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 20

There usually around the same price as the CC give or take a fiver, geterbrewed have a 10% discount on there beaverdale kits atm.
GDog Likes This 
Old 20-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #7
Honk

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I was very impressed by the beaverdale merlot i made last year, still a few bottles left, as i type I'm listening to a beaverdale sauvignon blanc bubbling away in the corner. Hopefully will be as good.

To be honest I'm more into all grain beer brewing now rather than brewing from kits, that is what really gets me going but we do drink a certain amount of wine and the merlot was better than anything we would buy at the cheaper end of the market so hoping to take a few weeks out of beer production to be self sufficient in wine that i would happily drink or serve to guests.

Old 21-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Vinotinto

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts

I get the Beaverdale 30 bottle kits from Creative Wines at a tad under £39 which puts it mid range. £45 for free delivery but there are always a few accessories required

We have yet to experience a bottle over 6 weeks in the bottle so in an effort to remedy that will up production.

I do follow the instruction also to rack first at 1.010.

Have tried CC and the Kenridge kits but Beaverdale wins my gold award.

Slipped a couple of glasses to a wine fussy friend the other night. He almost fell off his chair when I finally spilled the beans as to origin. Now there IS an accolade!
GDog Likes This 
Old 21-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
Ryan87

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've just set up a 30 Bottle Beaverdale Rose kit in my fermentation cabinet @ 13.5 Deg C, as i've read somewhere that a lower fermentation temperature will preserve some of the floral fruity notes that would normally burn away 20 deg C. I know the fermentation will take longer, but it has definitely started.

Would anyone have any opinions on this?