Pressure.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_lotus

Reaction score
can anyone help please. I started brewing sambuca and in the night the pressure was so great the lid popped off. Should I relieve the pressure so this doesn't happen again ? Thanks

The gas will need to escape, never done anything like sambuca before but I assume it is the same principle as any other fermentation..

Are you just sticking the lid on tight over what you're fermenting in? Fermentation produces Co2 which will need to escape either via an airlock or just slightly snap open a corner of whatever you're fermenting inso the gas can escape.

What are you fermenting in?

Hi, oh thank you. I'm brewing in a plastic gallon bottle ( it came with our kit ) but I wasn't too sure which lid to use, I knew the gas needed to escape but wasn't overly sure on which lid to use. ( having a silly moment ) thank you for your help :)

I think the best thing with sprits is to use a blow off tube. Its basically a piece of plastic tubing that's come out of the lid and into a small container of water so plenty of gas can escape. A month or two back I had a disaster with a turbo whiskey, I used a regular airlock which blocked up, went bang and turned itself over :oops:

Back