sterilising bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
When sterilising bottles and demijohn when you rinse out with cold water is there any need to leave them dry before use ?

I just rinse 2 -3 times and don't worry about any water left in the bottle. I've had a spoiled brew but never a spoiled bottle.

All I do is give them a good visual check to make sure there is no visible solid material, put the sterilising solution in and wash it about. Leave for 20 minutes then empty out. I give a good rinse twice and then use right away. I've never had a bad brew in a demijohn and I've been brewing wine for over 20 years.

For a large batch steralising and triple rinsing out 30-40 bottles can be a bit soul destroying. Get yourself some no rinse sanitiser make up a batch and I just submerge each bottle for a min or two take out and stick on the bottle tree or bottle beer into it straight away!

For a large batch steralising and triple rinsing out 30-40 bottles can be a bit soul destroying. Get yourself some no rinse sanitiser make up a batch and I just submerge each bottle for a min or two take out and stick on the bottle tree or bottle beer into it straight away!
I'm hyper fussy but very patient so I feel I need to rinse. I've only done 2 lots of 40 beer bottles and I was listening to the radio which made the time fly by but I agree, less than half way through I start to get a bit eager to push on and think about all the wasted water.

You can also oven your bottles. I just rinse my bottle out straight after I've poured a beer and put it in my rack. When I've got 30 bottles I put then in the oven and turn it on for 40 mins at 150C. When there cool I put a little cling film 'cap' on them.

Starsan is the future.

I give my bottles a quick rinse with water when I pour a beer from them to get rid of the sediment. When I have a few 'dirty bottles' built up I wash them with warm water and a bottle brush (pouring the water used into a spare FV and then into our water butt for my wife to water her tomatoes with). On bottling day I use starsan solution with a bottle rinser then stack on a bottle tree just before bottling.

Starsan is a true 'no rinse' sanitised so very, very little wasted water and an absolute dream to use.

i steep mine in the bath overnight with oxi then rinse them out and into the dish washer with them on the 12 minute cycle then prime and bottle :cheers:

How long should you leave the steriliser in the bottles or demijohn before you tip it out again. On some videos I've watched they literally pour it in and straight out again.

How long should you leave the steriliser in the bottles or demijohn before you tip it out again. On some videos I've watched they literally pour it in and straight out again.
I leave it in the bottle for 20 minutes but I think that's overkill. When previously making wine and in a rush I just poured sterilising solution from bottle to bottle shaking the bottle vigorously each time for about 10 seconds then rinsed when all were done.

Latest posts

Back