London Pride 5/11/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger the dog

Reaction score
This is the second time I've brewed this, I've got the Fullers yeast that needs using up & it's one I can turn around quickly

19l brew length

In the mash tun

Marris otter 3000g
Flaked Maize 230g
Crystal malt 100g
Chocolate malt 70g

Mash @ 65°C for 70 mins

Copper hops

Target (8.5% a.a.) 12g
Northdown (7.5% a.a.) 10g
Challenger (8.0% a.a.) 8g

Late hops

Northdown (7.5% a.a.) 10g last 15 mins.

60 min. boil

Wyeast 1968 1l starter

Pictures to follow :pray:

Cheers A T, all done & dusted now.

Some piccies

DSC_0304-1.jpg

DSC_0312-1.jpg

DSC_0314-1.jpg

DSC_0316-1.jpg

DSC_0317-1.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0373-1.jpg

Sorry about the random picture sizes, everytime I use photobucket they change the editing :oops:

I ended up with 19 litres @ 1.044 - just what I was after.

One thing that's worrying me is that the starter had a slight off taste to it, I hope I haven't b*ggered it up pitching infected yeast :pray:

I know I should have chucked in some S-04 instead just to be safe but it wouldn't have been anything like LP then, you live & learn.

A T said:
I love London Pride, did you ever do this recipe before? i'm wondering how close it is :D

This is the second time I've done it, the first attempt had a bit a black malt in it instead of the chocolate. After a week in the corny I had a sneaky taste & it was as spot on for taste, colour etc. & I thought after another couple of weeks it would be incredible but funnily enough it wasn't as good. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing but I'll definatley be drinking this one early. The first taste was as close to a clone of a commercial brew as I have come :P

Great pics RTD :thumb: Nice clear runnings and loads of trub :thumb:

Re Photobucket - I found the option for uploading pics in the size you want the other day, have a look for that just under the upload button, makes life loads easier :)

Wez said:
Re Photobucket - I found the option for uploading pics in the size you want the other day, have a look for that just under the upload button, makes life loads easier :)

Cheers Wez, I'll have a look - I was a bit pushed last night trying to get the pictures on before we went out to a bonfire

An update on the brew, I checked it before I went to bed last night & there were clumps of what looked like cold break floating just under the surface which I didn't think looked right (never seen it before) but this morning it looks like a head is starting to appear & it smells good so fingers crossed.

Wez said:
Great pics RTD :thumb: Nice clear runnings and loads of trub :thumb:

I hate photobucket. Rubbish. Utter rubbish. Ok for snaps but no good for photo's. :evil:
Use Flickr, lots more user friendly and you'll always get the same size regardless of what you upload.

Nice watch by the way. :cool:

The reason i asked is because i only ever get the floaty bits when I use protofloc :hmm:

I have a love hate relationship with protofloc, i love the way it clears my beer, for me it works better than Whirlfloc but I find that if i happen to carry over just a little bit too much trub then i get those floaty bits, (which I hate) - at the end of fermentation it looks like there are small florettes of cauliflower floating in the fermenter.

I think the trick is to try to minimise how much trub you transfer :hmm:

Back