Coopers stout, too much sugar??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshboy

Reaction score
Well just put a brew on 1 can of coopers stout added 1kg of dark muscovado sugar and 250g of light soft brown sugar had a reading of 1.050 and brewed short to 20ltrs. pitched yeast and then read pack which said don't add more than 1kg of sugar per 23ltrs or it may effect the head?

anyone agree or disagree? :hmm:

Hi mate i have done almost the exact same as you (read the instructions after starting it off) I had an og of 1.055 and brewed short to 20l! Shame there's no response how did it all turn out for you?

Me too. I added the required 1 kg then a further 250g of ordinary white sugar plus 250g malt extract. Bottled last night. Tasted a tad sweet but early days yet.
There's a looong thread about this stout on another forum in which people have added all sorts with apparently no problems so I think we'll be fine.
I'll confirm this (or not!) after I've cracked my first one.

Me too. I added the required 1 kg then a further 250g of ordinary white sugar plus 250g malt extract. Bottled last night. Tasted a tad sweet but early days yet.
There's a looong thread about this stout on another forum in which people have added all sorts with apparently no problems so I think we'll be fine.
I'll confirm this (or not!) after I've cracked my first one.

Hi bruintuns

Yeh I've had a good read of that thread and it actually persuaded me to get this one im just worrying about because it specifically states not to add more sugar than 1kg oops! But I did that with my wheat beer and bumped it up to 5.5%ish and there where no issues with head retention or taste infact it was beautiful, lethal, but beautiful! Also left me with no hangover at all! Keep us posted on how yours turns out

Will do Chris. I should mention that I'm new to this home brewing game too, this is actually the first brew I've bottled so far so you're ahead of me. Wasn't the first I got going but because this one finishes fermenting so quickly it was ready for bottling last night while the others are still bubbling.
Even though I did tons of reading before I finally got going I still managed to make lots of newbie mistakes so tbh as long as these first brews taste good I'll be too relieved to worry too much about the finer points like head retention or optimum carbonation level.
Fingers crossed for both of us but I really don't think we need to worry.

Back