Stevie123s brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motueka is top! I knocked up a pale ale yesterday with Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin and Motueka.

What are your two brews today? And list the hops. And what else do you fancy?

The dark star type and the orkney you recommended Clibit
hops
perle
northdown
cascade
goldings
ekg
amarillo
uk pilot
magnum
aramis
challenger
to name a few, And i will try anything beer style wise

Irish Red Ale

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Bitterness (IBU): 25.5
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

3.800 kg Maris Otter Malt (89.2%)
0.250 kg Flaked Barley (5.87%)
0.170 kg Crystal 60 (3.99%)
0.040 kg Roasted Barley (0.94%)

23.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
28.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment around 20°C with US-05

You could use Amarillo instead of the Challenger, if you want some of that nice Amarillo orangy fruitiness. Not used Aramis, but that might go well too, going by descriptions. And EKG is common in Irish reds.

Irish Red Ale

Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Bitterness (IBU): 25.5
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

3.800 kg Maris Otter Malt (89.2%)
0.250 kg Flaked Barley (5.87%)
0.170 kg Crystal 60 (3.99%)
0.040 kg Roasted Barley (0.94%)

23.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
28.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
5.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment around 20°C with US-05

You could use Amarillo instead of the Challenger, if you want some of that nice Amarillo orangy fruitiness. Not used Aramis, but that might go well too, going by descriptions. And EKG is common in Irish reds.
Thanks for that Clibit i think i will go along with that and have a think about using the Aramis bought it and have not used it yet
Regards Steve

You can buy flaked barley in the supermarket. I've not made this exact recipe, but done similar, and it's a very nice style of beer.

Yesterdays brews are going crazy, Time to get todays Irish Red Ale brew on before the wife gets back

Yesterdays brews are going crazy, Time to get todays Irish Red Ale brew on before the wife gets back
Started the boil everything looking good and smelling good with this one,What a good weekend 3 brews almost completed time for lunch whilst watching for boil overs! pizza and a nice porter i think
Steve

You don't mess about! Three good beers there. Did you use Aramis?

Yes Clibit i did use the aramis by the way you were right about the porter it was very harsh to start with but its turned into a great beer! Dying to try the Motueka now, Funny how things change once upon a time all i would drink was fizzy lager now with starting ag i even find myself walking into bars trying the ales and thinking my god some of mine are better than this rubbish
ps if you want to try one of my porters pm me your address and il send you one for all your help
Steve

Well ended up with four brews last weekend had some grain left over and a few id never used before so decided to chuck some together to see what it would turn out like also had a new hop Moueka so thought id use that as well.
Heres what i through together
M Otter 4kg
Crystal 150g
Biscuit 200g
Carared 150g
Roast Barley 100g
Hops used
Magnum 20g @60 mins
Motueka 28g@30 mins
Motueka 40g @ 15 mins
Had a sample from the trial jar today and its tasting very nice :shock:
Steve

I really like motueka. I like the way you're just jumping in and brewing away!

Hard water works really well for this porter - I live in London and my water is pretty hard.

I would say that brown malt is crucial to the receipe, and also lends some historic authenticity to a porter. I would defineately get some brown malt if you're going to do this receipe. It wont be the same without it. If your having trouble getting hold of brown, you can actually make some in your oven using Marris Otter. Google how to do it. If you cant find some decent instructions I can do a scan of my porter and stout book which tell you how.

S04 or US05 would be fine. The last time i made this I used Notty/gervin G12. Culturing up yeast from a bottle is easy but time consuming - it usually takes 2-3 weeks for me to do it, but I find it a fun side project to do alongside brewing
Brewed the porter today. My farming mate had a water report for his bore hole water which helped. When I plotted it on the water chart from 'how to brew' it confirmed dark was the way to go. To my surprise the water quality was really good, zero bugs, I was expecting all sorts with it being a farm, and it tasted nice.(they should sell it).

Decanting into the FV was a messy affair, decided to try and siphon and it kept getting clogged even with a hop net tied to the end. Had to mess about re-tying the hop bag a couple of times. I'll be lucky if I haven't introduced any nasties.

Set it off with Nottingham yeast. Looking forward to seeing what it's like tomorrow.

Bubbling away nicely today.

Its going to be dark - didn't get round to cleaning out the boil pan last night and poured some of the remnants into a glass :-

thumb2_porter-101.jpg

Bubbling away nicely today.

Its going to be dark - didn't get round to cleaning out the boil pan last night and poured some of the remnants into a glass :-

thumb2_porter-101.jpg
If it turns out anything like mine you will have one cracking pint !:smile:

What to brew today? Fancy something different this is what i have left
Marris Otter about 4kg
Biscuit 750g
Black 200g
Roast Barley 300g
Choc 180g
Carared 500g
Crystal 200g
Hops just about everything now
Yeast 05
Any ideas ?
Steve

Hell of a thread this one...great effort Steve.
I've recently jumped into 19l stockpot brewing myself. Even though I know I'm being quite rough and ready with the process I've tasted first batch and am more pleased with it than any of the kits I'd done previously.
I'll be pinching the Darkstar-alike by the way...any chance you have a version of their Revelation clibit?
Much obliged [emoji108]

Hell of a thread this one...great effort Steve.
I've recently jumped into 19l stockpot brewing myself. Even though I know I'm being quite rough and ready with the process I've tasted first batch and am more pleased with it than any of the kits I'd done previously.
I'll be pinching the Darkstar-alike by the way...any chance you have a version of their Revelation clibit?
Much obliged [emoji108]
Glad you like it, I had a taste of the Darkstar yesterday and its a wonderful drink a big :thumb: up to Clibit for this one
Steve

Did you get a brew made Steve? I've been away.
No i didnt Clibit a family member ended up in hospital all is good now!
Thought it was strange you didnt come up with a recipe within the hour for me lol,Some of my beers have turned into cracking pints thanks again for the help. Have you been anywhere nice ? Oh loving the Motueka
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back