A noobs success

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha chippy you make me laugh and yeah, I have Stella in my fridge and I'd rather drink this. It's a Young's lager kit with coopers brew enhancer 1. Stella is just so bland compared to this, its still a little hazy though but I think its pretty good for my first.

It looks really clear i would be happy with that well done mate. Does the coopers enhancer make a difference?

I can't really answer that because I have only made this but it has a better colour than I've seen online. Also the body is pretty good but I think I need to add maybe 1/4 more sugar per bottle for priming as its not as fizzy as I'd like

Stout kits can be fantastic - I swear by Brewmakers Shamrock velvet stout, others by the Coopers. For extra goodness, brew them a little short , that is instead of making them up to 5 gallons, make them up to 4 or 4 1/2 instead. Increases the flavour and body no end.
Well done on your first brew by the way.

Thanks Cwrw666, I brew a little short anyway because I only have 20L of bottles, I use litres not gallons so I don't know how short that would be. I'll be posting a new post in a moment talking about a recipe that I want done help with so have a look at that.

Thanks again,

Ben.

Good lad! *Looks wistful and puts on a flat cap* I remember, back int' 2009, when I made me first homebrew...Kilner, t'was. It were bloody awful and I didn't brew again until '12.

On a serious note: your first brew is always a good 'un. Wishing you the best of luck when you get the bug and start going all grain! ;-)

Joey I have already been reading into BIAB as I don't have much money to throw at this hobby. Something I may try once I have a few more kits/extracts under my belt

If I'd read this a week ago I would have sold/traded in some beers for my 20litre pot. Alas, I have already sent it on to my friend who has just started brewing.

I got mine from Amazon and, at £28, it was a very good value pot. BIAB is a good starting point and I did it last year, the only thing I disliked was not having a method of cooling it down rapidly. An immersion chiller is an investment but if you're saving your cash you may wish to try no-chill.

Do it, you won't regret dipping your toes into making 'fresh' beer-I personally think it tastes so much 'fuller' than kits.

Ahh that's okay haha, like I said I want a few more extracts/kits first anyway that way I get more of a feel for the various processes involved in making beer

Back