Couple of quick questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
I did my second AG yesterday, the Graham Wheeler TT Landlord clone. I used brewmate to reduce the recipe down to 10 Litres. Everything went well, no major mishaps but the expected SG was around 1041 and I actually got 1053. I got my other half to read the hydrometer just to check. I lost quite a lot of liquid during the 90 min boil and have ended up with about 9.5 litres. So my first question is can I add in some water to make up the batch to 10 litres and why do you think the SG is so high?
Secondly I used the Wyeast West Yorkshire slap pack but only used half. I put the other half in an airtight, sanitised container in the fridge. Will this be ok to use at a later date.

Cheers

If I'm reading you right (you now have 9.5L of 1.053 wort) somethings gone wrong. Sound's like you've maybe added to much grain as the difference between 9.5L and 10L on a aimed for 10L brewlength is only 2 gravity points. Maybe you inputted the figures into brewmate wrong.Another possiblity is if you got a super duper efficiency - Perhaps you had the brew mate effciency on something like maybe 70% and you managed an 85%

You can dilute up to 10L but to diluting 9.5L of 1.053 wort t 10L gives 1.050. You need to dilute up to 12.28L to hit 1.041. To be absolutley sure of sanitation boil the water for 15mins then cool. If its alread started fermenting do it slowly so as not to introduce oxygen.

The yeast will be fine in the fridge but it depends how long your planning on keeping it in there.

1-2 Weeks fine.
2-4 Weeks should still be fine. I was looking into how long to can keep slurry in the fridge for yesterday and the general consensus on the forums is that to can still directly pitch up till one month. You might want to make a starter to be absolutely sure on not getting a stuck fermentation though.
After 4 weeks - Make a starter

Thanks MyQul, thought I'd be ok with the yeast. I measured the OG before straining into the FV. There was a lot of guff that settled to the bottom of the trial jar. Could this have had any effect on the gravity reading?

Thanks MyQul, thought I'd be ok with the yeast. I measured the OG before straining into the FV. There was a lot of guff that settled to the bottom of the trial jar. Could this have had any effect on the gravity reading?

Definately. The trub can really effect you gravity reading if you've got some in the trial jar. I always wait a bit for the trub/break material to settle out before taking any samples for gravity readings

I would top up to 10 litres, but take another OG reading first if you can.

I would top up to 10 litres, but take another OG reading first if you can.

Fermentation going strongly for the last 36hrs. Gravity down to 1016 so I'm going to assume that all the debris in the trial jar upped the SG. Brewmate suggests that the FG should be around 1010 from 1044. I will top up with 1 litre of boiled/cooled water and leave until it's been in the FV for a couple of weeks before I take another reading. Thanks

Back