First time brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverickf1

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new to this home brewing malarkey and have a quick question to ask. I bought the Youngs starter kit and have put the beer in the pressure barrel. Unfortunately the instructions are a bit scant on information, diagrams etc... The kit comes with 2 tops for the pressure barrel, one is a vent cap, and the other is a brass inlet valve. My question is which one I should put on to begin with. My initial thought was to put the vent cap on, but after doing some reading on these forums it seems that you shouldnt take the cap off at any point, which would make adding co2 at a later date impossible...
My worry is that if I put the brass cap on the pressure will deform the barrel or worse, cause it to explode...
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed.

The cap with the brass fitting will also have a rubber band type pressure release feature. I use that one from the start. The barrel won't explode anyway, it'll just swell slightly.

Dave

The cap with the brass fitting will also have a rubber band type pressure release feature. I use that one from the start. The barrel won't explode anyway, it'll just swell slightly.

Dave

Cheers for the quick response, Dave. I thought that might be the case, but am still confused as to why they included the other cap in the kit...

good question, but its not unusual for useless gimicks to be included in product bundles to increase the perceived value of the kit..

I guess you may at somepoint want to brew a still cider or similar brew without any condition(fiz)??

good question, but its not unusual for useless gimicks to be included in product bundles to increase the perceived value of the kit..

I guess you may at somepoint want to brew a still cider or similar brew without any condition(fiz)??

Ahh right. Think il stick to ales for the minute though. Cheers for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back