My 2nd DP recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
After the first DP i brewed and absolutely loved I've been a bit slack due to me getting behind with my brewing. I've pretty much caught up with it all now and plan to use a sack of grain this week. Getting me ahead again. So tomorrow i plan to do half a DP brew. When i say half it's cos i'm going to mash tomorrow evening and boil the following evening. The only prob is i don't have any fuggles or goldings. So i'll be using the very last of my Sticklebract and Green Bullet hop flowers. So it won't be a true DP recipe it'll be something similar. It'll still be bloody awesome though.

Here's the recipe. This is for a gallon.

Simond's (reading) Bitter(1880)
OG 62
A robust, slightly sweet bitter with real character.

2 1/2 lb Pale Malt
7 oz Carapils or 3 oz Carapils + 2 oz Amber Malt
1 oz Fuggles or Goldings hops
0.15 oz Goldings hops 'late'

Add the 0.15 oz goldings hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.
Mature for at least 3 month's.

The method is thus: Add hot water to the ground grain to produce a stiff mash at 66C. Maintain 66C for three hours then raise temp to 77C(this took 6L boiling water with the 1837 IPA) for 30 mins. Sparge slowly with water at 82-85C to obtain the required volume(i used 78-80C water). Boil with hops for 1 1/2 hrs. Cool( :cool: ). Strain and rinse the hops(i've no idea how i perform this????) Adjust to the required OG by the addition of cooled boiled water or dried pale malt extract as needed. ferment with good quality ale yeast. Dry hop with 1/10 oz Goldings.

I can't dry hop as i will be bottling this. I will be using 1968 ESB yeast. I think it will suit it fine.

I've had to convert this to 5 gallons and then to Litres. So if anyone see's a glaring mistake please put me right. My calculator is in the brewery so i've done it by pen and pencil. Math was never my strong point. :roll:

Here's the weights i'm going for for a 5 gallon batch...

5670g Pale Malt(Golden Promise)
425g Carapils
284g Amber Malt
142g fuggles
22g Goldings 'late'

I've no idea what the AA% of fug or gold were back in the 1800's so im guessing at around 4%. My Sticklebract are 10% but have been stored in plastic zip lock bags and then wrapped in clingfilm, placed in the freezer for 8 month's now. They have definately lost a fair amount of AA cos when i do a brew with them the beer isn't nearly as bitter as doing an identical brew with fresh hops. I'd say they are about half their AA%. So i'm going to use the same amount of Sticklebract as the recipe requires. He who dares wins. Or so the saying goes.

I don't really see the point of dry hopping in the fermenter. Especially as you can introduce nasties unless you sterilise the hops.

I'm not that impressed with beer from the cornie either. It's never as nice as the same brew bottled in my opinion. I bottle all my DP brews-the one that i've done anyway. :lol:

Hope the brew goes well.

I love the DP recipes and the Simmonds bitter is next on my list - the maturation periods always throw me a bit - it's hard leaving a beer for three months (let alone the six to twelve month beers!)

It's worth pointing out that the amber malt mentioned in the recipes is not your modern-day equivalent. They have the instructions on how to roast pale malt to amber malt in their book. I've not yet done it, but to get close to the original recipes I might give it a try for my next DP beer.

Well, this has got delayed due to the fact that we are having more issues with the MAD woman who is Patrica Busch at the Lionpark. Megan Busch, Craigs demented sister is in court on friday for wilfull damage. She slashed the former park managers tyres and messed with her brakes. Hopefully the judge will take a dim view of this and lock her up. Between her and her mother they have probably embezzelled at least half the money that is supposed to be for the cats.

I'm hoping to get going in the next day or so.

That is shocking :shock:

I agree with you on the cornie issue and if it wasn't for my over powering laziness i'd sell them and bottle all my beer.

Craigs going to join up next time he comes over for a drinky. He's got to be a bit carefull as people could use it against him-saying he's a drunk or some other load of rubbish.

He doesn't use a computer so he'll be 'steered' in the right direction by me. Poor man. :lol:

I'm going to get a starter started for this brew. My demijohn has about 4L of unboiled 1020 wort from a previous Pale Ale i brewed. This has been in my fridge for about a month so i'm going to boil up a litre for 15 mins. Cool it down and then use it to get a starter of London III going.
I could do with a couple more demijohns really. :roll:

Just been to the fridge and i only have one London III left. :( So i need to use that to grow on and produce more. I'll be using the last of my 1968 ESB instead. I've got a good idea of how ESB doesn't cope well with splitting and re-growing too much. I couldn't realistically grown this on and split it anymore. This is the 3rd generation and it's already losing some of it's characteristics. It still works fine but it has definately lost it's edge from the original.

I have weighed out the grain and i will be brewing this tomorrow evening. Using my ace excuse of 'i've got tanks to fill'. :thumb:

Well, i finally got round to brewing this. I've modified my V arm so it is more along the lines of how it's supposed to be. Hit my target of 23L at 1062-in the FV. So i was well pleased. Unfortunately using my boiler as HLT and kettle didn't work out too well. The kettle worked fine as HLT then when it came to start the boil only one element worked. :evil: It took an hour to get up to the boil and then it wouldn't hold a steady boil without a lid on. With a lid on it would boil over within 5 mins so i had to do 'lid on, lid off' for the whole 90 mins. Then i completely forgot about getting a starter ready too. So a bit of a hopeless brewday and with 7kg of malt. :evil:
It's in my FV now and 24hr's later doesn't even look like starting to ferment. SO i'm looking at 48hr's lag time. Not good really. But due to the extra long time for the boil everything was super sterilised. Fingers crossed all will be ok.

Nicest part is that my kettle is filled up to 8L with spent hops-flowers do expand somewhat. Which smells great and looks bloody cool. I'll give it a clean and fit my spare element tomorrow. I'm super busy at the mo-not much of a recession going on here for diving. We are 400% up on last year with a month to go. :party: But we are 3 years old this year so you'd expect to be up on your third year compared to your second.

At this rate i'll be able to afford the rest of my system in no time... fingers crossed. Ooh, hope the boat hasn't heard me say that or it will expect all my money to be spent on it instead of a brewery. :(

All is good in the FV with my brew now nicely chugging away. :D

I also just realised after reading through my brew diary that i've now done 40 AG brews. Not bad since my first AG was feb 12th. I'll definately be hitting 50 in my first full year of brewing. I also worked out that i've brewed 734L of beer. I've drank at least 90% of this to myself, which is quite amazing really. My average ABV is 5.6% too. Take note BS-no shandy being brewed by Middle Earth Brewery.
I'm so looking forward to quaffing my bottle of 9% 1837 DP IPA. Think i'm into that next weekend. :party:

jesus.

do you brew every week or something?

since i've started i've done 25 AG's (an average of one a month, but with a couple of quick fire rounds :D), 24 of those were 5 gallons, and one 85L. so i've brewed 637 litres or 1121 pints. my average ABV is 5% ;)

edit i think i may have brewed a few more litres than that as recently i've been getting 25 litres per brew instead of 23 on my 5 gal brewery

This should probably have it's own thread. What you've brewed, volume wise and your average ABV.

Actually i'll go start one. :D

Latest posts

Back