Recipe request

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugno

Reaction score
I may get a chance to get a brew on this Saturday. I want to brew an Ale or Bitter for the Crimbo. I reckon I could just about squeeze it in in time. I would like to brew something tried and tested and of course delicious. I would like it to be about 4.5ish% I have Aurora, Styrian, willamete, gallena and tetnanger open but can use other hops if these can't be used. Any suggestions?

Bugno said:
I may get a chance to get a brew on this Saturday. I want to brew an Ale or Bitter for the Crimbo. I reckon I could just about squeeze it in in time. I would like to brew something tried and tested and of course delicious. I would like it to be about 4.5ish% I have Aurora, Styrian, willamete, gallena and tetnanger open but can use other hops if these can't be used. Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions sorry, but I'm wondering where you got gellena and tetnanger hops from?

How about Big Kenny? Tried and tested by half the brewing community in the UK ;)
Target OG 1.046
60 Min 68 Degree Mash
60 Min Boil
I use s04

Pale Malt 92%
Torrified Wheat 5%
Caramel/Crystal Malt 1.5%
Roasted Barley 1%
Chocolate Malt 0.5%

Fuggles Full Boil to 32 IBU
20gm (per 25L) Styrian Goldings (15 min)
20gm (per 25L) Styrian Goldings (Steeped 80c for 15 mins)

That makes sense. it is very good and has the alcohol content I am after. Plus I can ring you went it all starts going wrong. Hav'nt brewed in soo long.

Bugno said:
That makes sense. it is very good and has the alcohol content I am after. Plus I can ring you went it all starts going wrong. Hav'nt brewed in soo long.

Hey i'm not sure if i'm ever any help but you can always try ;) Kenny is a good solid beer or as it's for Chrimbo you could try the Oatmeal Stout Vossy makes. I haven't tasted it but judging by the beer i did taste that he made if the stout is half as good you'd be on a winner

I was keen to throw in a recipe but then i saw the 4.5% thing. I don't brew shandy. :lol:

I don't have any torrified wheat. Can I use wheat malt or is there a big difference.

After alot of considerations, I am going with this recipe. I am getting to use up my old hops for the bittering as well as try a new one in Mount Hood. I hav'nt tried MH before, has anyone used these? I am also getting to use some opened grain.

10 kg. Maris Otter Pale
1.60 kg. Crystal Malt 80°L
0.31 kg. Cara-Pils
0.5 kg. German Wheat Malt Dark
48 g. Tettnanger (Whole, 2.3 %AA) boiled 60 min.
17 g. Galena (Whole, 12.6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
35 g. Aurora Super Styrian (Whole, 8.6 %AA) boiled 60 min.
60 g. Mt. Hood (Whole, 4.8 %AA) boiled 15 min.
40 g. Mt. Hood (Whole, 4.8 %AA) boiled 1 min.

Yeast : SO-04

mash at 67 for 1
Whirlfloc 15 min

Alcohol 5.3%
IBUs 41.4

Mash is on at the minute. Bit behind schedule, waiting on the missus to clear off for the day leaving myself and the two dogs to get stuck in.

It went smoothly. I forgot to add the pH 5.2 but then again I did not always have the stuff and the brews turned out fine. My gravity was 1.048, expected 1.052. I think I got alot more than 50 lt I expected. My 33lt fermenter is full and my other fermenter has about 6 gallon in it judging by the markings. I had to put a brewbelt on one of the fermenters as it dropped to 16 degrees. Both are at 18 now and the smell in the front room is great. i also used two different yeasts, S-04 and S-05. I never did this before. Looking forward to seeing the mount hood as I have never used them.

Latest posts

Back