Football Money - Noses in the Trough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All good stuff above.
The OP was really about money grabbing from those who are directly and indirectly involved with the game and whether fans thought they were getting value for money when they handed over wads of hard-earned cash. It wasn't really about whether the game itself is or is not any good.
I acknowledge that there are other things out there which people suck money out of, but they are certainly not in the same league as 'top class' football. And for the fans there is a world of difference, for example, in handing over less than �£10 for a Harry Potter book than �£1500 or so to watch Arsenal for one season. That said Chippy and others should be happy they can watch footie and other sports on the cheap, at least for the time being. :thumb:

That said Chippy and others should be happy they can watch footie and other sports on the cheap, at least for the time being.

If Sky put the price back to £30 plus at the end of the promotion i will not be giving them my money, BT took all the motor sport i used to watch on Sky so i am basically paying £8:50 per month to watch the premier league and a couple of other sports.

And for the fans there is a world of difference, for example, in handing over less than �£10 for a Harry Potter book than �£1500 or so to watch Arsenal for one season.

Not if you extrapolate to the same commitment of fans, people can spend stupid money on Harry Potter merchandise, affiliated products and conventions etc.

Is worth remembering that football spectating extends beyond the EPL and even the professional game.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Football is more than entertainment, it brings people together either on a local level or national level. my only gripe is more of the money should be spread down the leagues a bit more , in coaching investment for example. Prem clubs should also not be allowed to hoover up all young talent when 90% will go on the out on loan merry go round and never play for the club ever.

Instead these players could commit to a lower league club- be part of that club and develop with them and then if and when get the move to prem/championship clubs.

lads in the office will talk about £100 million player deals, but i get exited if the mighty Gills are looking to spend 100K!

Is worth remembering that football spectating extends beyond the EPL and even the professional game.
Absolutely.
And for every one of the overpaid premiership footballer, agents, managers, and hangers on there are thousands of people at lower levels right down to the kids on the park and blokes who turn up on Sunday morning to kick the **** out of everything in sight. I know first hand since I was involved.
Trouble is as others have pointed out, most of the top money doesn't percolate down.

Personally I think footballers should be paid more, and it should be the law that everyone has to pay an over-priced subscription fee whether they watch it or not. In fact, if they don't watch it they should be forced to pay twice, just to teach them the error of their ways. After all, it's only money; you can't take it with you.

Personally I think footballers should be paid more, and it should be the law that everyone has to pay an over-priced subscription fee whether they watch it or not. In fact, if they don't watch it they should be forced to pay twice, just to teach them the error of their ways. After all, it's only money; you can't take it with you.

Good lord you're right, whatever have I been thinking?? Just had the mother of all damascene conversions and I'm gonna get onto Sky right now and take out a load of subs. Thank you!!

I love watching a game of footie but I've never understood why anyone actually pays for sky. I just go to the pub to what whatever match I'm interested in

Paying London prices wouldn't it be cheaper paying for sky?

Football used to be a great game to watch the first division on grandstand on a Saturday afternoon. Players actually represented and had roots in the teams they played for.

Then the big money got involved and it all went slowly pear shaped.

Now top flight football is just somebody's Contractors World XI vs. somebody else's Contractors World XI. Televised Top Trumps. I can't tell the difference any more and it's no wonder the national team is so poor.

Football used to be a great game to watch the first division on grandstand on a Saturday afternoon. Players actually represented and had roots in the teams they played for.

I guess people who are not interested in the premier league think all players are just out to get as much money as they can and could not care less which club pays them, if this was the case i doubt many foreign players would come to this miserable wet and cold country to do what they do best when they could get millions to play in any league in the world.

Most clubs have players who have been with them several seasons but the days of the majority of payers in a team staying at the club for many years has long gone the players cannot be blamed for this as that decision is not theirs.

I can't tell the difference any more and it's no wonder the national team is so poor.

The national team was poor a long before big money turned football into a business!

I think that is why I love lower league football and my team Macclesfield Town. John Askey player 409 games over 19 years. Now manager.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Back