Chromecast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do any members use it?

If so do you have the same problem as me with ITV hub as according to the ITV hub team it was supposed to have started to work with chromecast last November.

When using iplayer i start the video on my tablet then i click the chromecast icon in the top right of the screen the programme then plays on the TV, if i do the same using ITV hub i do not get the option to use chromecast when the video is playing i can only see the chromecast icon when i switch between the main channels (ITV, ITV2 etc) if i click it in the main screen it says cast to my TV the ITV Hum icon appears on my TV with "Ready to cast" at the bottom if i then click play on my tablet i get an error message saying "Sorry we cannot cast our channels yet ...This functionality isn't available yet but you can still enjoy our live channels on your device.

To add to the above -

After messing about for a while i can see i can watch anything that has already been shown but cannot cast live ITV TV which i am able to do with iplayer. :-?

If anyone is wondering what the hell i am going on about here is the answer -

Note - if your TV has a USB port you can power it from that instead of using the mains power adaptor provided.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VuB-JQjMiE[/ame]

@BarnBrian I was having a nightmare with picture breakup in the summer months on the TV in my kitchen it's linked to the main TV aerial by a splitter we recently had a kitchen fitted and I think they must have damaged the coax so rather than run another length I looked for a solution and this is a cracker, you can stream anything from iPlayer live and YouTube etc and the picture quality is great if I cannot get ITV hub to play live (as mentioned above) it's not a big deal as I usually watch BBC news in the morning in the kitchen and that works a treat.

I forgot to mention it's only £30 and cheaper for the older solid dongle type you can pick up on eBay.

I have been using the Mk1 Chromecast for just under 3 years. I bought mine off Amazon when on offer for �£18 before they stopped selling it to peddle their own stuff.
I use it for BBC iPlayer,Youtube vids, and internet Radio through Radioplayer. It will also run BT Sport provided the sending device Android version is recent. I don't run ITV Player. It rarely gives any problems.
Cos our TV doesn't have a USB port I use the separate power supply
It works fine from any of two Android phones and a tablet we have. I did have an older Android phone some time back and it seemed to be less reliable from that though.
For �£18 it has got to be one of the best bits of kit I have bought in recent years :thumb:

Thanks Terry, I will be looking for a MK1 on eBay for my lads room he spends most of his time at home watching YouTube so it would be great for his TV in his bedroom (runs off the same coax extension I have in the kitchen so he shares my problem)

The funny (or not so funny) thing is in winter the TV picture doesn't break up I have read it's poor quality signal and bad atmospherics that cause it and it's quite common on the BBC channels.

Do any members use it?
If so do you have the same problem as me with ITV hub as according to the ITV hub team it was supposed to have started to work with chromecast last November.
When using iplayer i start the video on my tablet then i click the chromecast icon in the top right of the screen the programme then plays on the TV, if i do the same using ITV hub i do not get the option to use chromecast when the video is playing i can only see the chromecast icon when i switch between the main channels (ITV, ITV2 etc) if i click it in the main screen it says cast to my TV the ITV Hum icon appears on my TV with "Ready to cast" at the bottom if i then click play on my tablet i get an error message saying "Sorry we cannot cast our channels yet ...This functionality isn't available yet but you can still enjoy our live channels on your device.
Chippy,
just tried this on my iPad. Fired up ITV Hub, got a chromecast
icon top right of my screen. Hit it and was offered my chromecast
name as an option. Selected that and connected OK. Selected
the first prog I found (Love Island :-(:-(:-( ) and it started to play
on my tv.
SORRY... just read your post again. I can't cast LIVE tv either.

I stopped using ITV Player or ITV Hub or whatever it's called ages ago. It wouldn't work properly, and it was full of ads that you couldn't avoid. If you look at the reviews on Google Store you will see that lots of others think its rubbish too. I don't miss it, we aren't big TV watchers, and rarely watch ITV anyway. Even the MotoGP has gone to C5, and as for Clive Tyldesley football commentator, the sound goes off.

Thanks Pete as Terry says I don't think I will be missing much I hate adverts and always record everything not on BBC I just wondered why it didn't work and if it was just me doing it wrong which I now know it wasn't. :thumb:

To add to the above -

After messing about for a while i can see i can watch anything that has already been shown but cannot cast live ITV TV which i am able to do with iplayer. :-?

Depending on your model of phone or tablet you may have the option to cast screen from the device itself to the chromecast whilst watching Live TV.....

Connect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built in.
Open the Google Home app .
In the top-left corner of the home screen, tap Menu > Cast Screen/audio > Cast Screen/audio.
Select your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built in.

Latest posts

Back