Treacle stout!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archer3419

Reaction score
Doing my 2nd brew today, everyone raves about coopers stout so im giving that a bash, brew enhancer 2 and a tin or treacle or molasses!

Thoughts?

Try expresso coffee(not instant!)as well and/or vanilla pods. I used dark brown sugar as well (you know, the really thick sticky stuff) and maybe brew a tad short. You will have a superb brew and is one of the best kits for tweaking. I can't comment on brew enhancer, never used it and not sure it will add anything to your brew other than upping the ABV. Using the ingredients I've described will give a much darker, thick, tasty, beverage. Its one of those kits that you can almost chuck anything in and it will work.

I used a small tin of black treacle in a Wilkos Velvet Stout kit made up to 20 litres. It was far too much for my tastes and I like treacle toffee. I finished the last bottle earlier this year - it had been 'conditioning' for 2.5 years and, I suppose, the treacle had mellowed to a reasonable taste. As others have said, use sparingly.

As @Irishwizard said above, you could split the batch and make one a treacle stout and another a coffee one. If I were to do one again, I would probably split into 3 or 4 different fermenters and experiment with flavours (chocolate and chilli stout, perhaps :twisted:)

Wot I do
- Coopers stout
- 500g dark DME
- 500 g Golden syrup
- 100g dark muscavado sugar
- 4 shots strong espresso (from ground coffee)
Brew to 19 litres with the kit yeast.
If its the Original it will ferment out very quickly, but the Irish, which has a different yeast, takes longer.
And its best out of a PB to get the creamy head :thumb:

Sounds like im on to a winner. I was planning on brewing slightly short, around 20l.

I read coffee is a good shout, vanilla sounds interesting too!!

Will using. Rown sugar to prime be a good or pointless exersize?

I use -
Coopers Stout Kit
500ml used engine oil
600ml roofing tar
2 Vanilla pods
CML English Ale Yeast
Burnt stick to stir

Takes about 10 years to condition and then is still only useful for treating fence panels.

Sounds like im on to a winner. I was planning on brewing slightly short, around 20l.

I read coffee is a good shout, vanilla sounds interesting too!!

Will using. Rown sugar to prime be a good or pointless exersize?

ordinary pounland white sugar is best for priming

Latest posts

Back