Bad brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Still mashing as I write, but so far this has been a poor brew day.

Taking hops out of the freezer and I see 3 pouches of pellets for my Passion Fruit IPA. I bottled this last week. Turns out I only put one pack of pellets in at the dry hop stage. No disaster, but it ain't gonna be anywhere near as hoppy as it should.

Then on today's brew, I forgot to turn off the heating element, so my mash hit nearly 90°. Mash was wasted so I had to start again, mill and brew my one remaining AG kit (luckily the yeast is the same for both brews).

Then, when I started prepping for today's later stages, I discovered my ceramic air stone was completely covered in mould.

The passion fruit IPA and today's ruined stout were both brews I was really keen to try, so I'll do them again. But it puts my brew schedule back by a couple of brews.

Then, when I finally get my replacement brew at the correct mash temp, I decide to have a coffee. Only my to discover there is no coffee in the house.

Today can only get better.

What a bummer of a day, not only screwing one up but realising your last brew was wrong too, double bummer! We all have em from time to time, sometimes i think it's down to familiarity with just doing it, overconfidence almost. It pays to get everything laid out, temps and timings written down and all double checked and gone through in your head, it's so easy to skip along merrily and miss a step or something, I did myself last brew, but it was water treatment related so not the end of the world.
Running out of coffee is unforgivable though :doh:

Stupidity and complacency.

Even after today's brew was finished I put the FV in the brew fridge, started clearing up and realised I hadn't added the yeast. I mean, it's just the most important ingredient. Total walloper today.

Next time, I'll be using my step by step guide. I used to call it my idiot sheet. Maybe I'm an only an idiot when I don't use it.

Time for a beer.

Back