Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all
Being new to home brewing, (only made one kit, muntons pale ale midas golden touch, bottled last sunday), I'm looking for some advice. I've a muntons smugglers special ale as my second kit but I've read there seems to be a problem with the yeast supplied with the kit. Is this true and if so can anyone recommend a yeast I could use instead?

Thanks

Dicko

Hi all
Being new to home brewing, (only made one kit, muntons pale ale midas golden touch, bottled last sunday), I'm looking for some advice. I've a muntons smugglers special ale as my second kit but I've read there seems to be a problem with the yeast supplied with the kit. Is this true and if so can anyone recommend a yeast I could use instead?

Thanks

Dicko
If its a 6 gram packet for a 23 litre brew you could be looking at a stuck ferment. i'd suggest getting a packet of gervin from wikos. There's a better chance of it fermenting out correctly.

Wilko Ale yeast a.k.a Nottingham yeast. Absolutely bomb proof. I've fermented it down at 15C and up to 25C.

+1 The Wilko Gervin yeast is brilliant, it's never stuck on me and always seems to go down to 1008 for me giving me 80%+ attenuation. I've repeatedly re-pitched from a packet 3 times and it always goes off like a rocket. I always have a pack tucked away in the fridge just in case the yeast I'm using fails as I know I can rely on it.

Thanks for the advice. A friend gave me a packet of safale s 04 which he had spare, has anyone used this before?

ThanK's

Dicko

Thanks for the advice. A friend gave me a packet of safale s 04 which he had spare, has anyone used this before?

ThanK's

Dicko

This is a good, go to yeast that will go very well with almost every English style of beer. If you look at the AG kits supplied by Worcester Hop Shop, they almost all come with S 04.

Thanks slid
Should I go with the safale s 04 right from the off or try the yeast that came with the kit first?

Cheers

Dicko

If 6g is insufficient to ferment 23l of beer/ale, would it not help if a starter was made up then pitched?

Dicko

Back