Hi guys, a swift hello

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_L

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I've been knocking up kits for about six years now, but want to delve into the world of using grain.
To be honest, I have neither the time nor space to go the full all grain route, but would like to pimp up the kits with a mini mash, or steep (as you can see, I don't really know what I'm talking about) and boil of grain to add to kits.
I'm pretty sure I can find what I'm after here!

My fave kits are
Coopers Stout w/ 1.5KG DME. PB. 22L
Coopers English Bitter w/ 1KG brew enhancer and 200G demerara. PB. 22L
Coopers Dark Ale w/tin of LME (I think this is **** when young but sublime after a few months) PB 21L

The above three are my go to brews, the PBs live in the shed (I wish I could with 'em)

John Bull IPA w/ 1KG brew enhancer. Bottled. 22L

Finally, a two can Wilko delicate pilsner w/1KG brew enhancer brewed long 26L. Bottled.
I originally did this as I was gifted two of the pilsner kits and didn't know what else to do with them.
(I'm not a fan of lagery type stuff)
I use the Wilko Gervin/Notts yeast for this. I absolutely love the result. Perfect as/is, almost a pale ale type of affair. I use this to experiment with some gentle hop teas and dry hopping.
Thoroughly, thoroughly recommended if anyone wants to try it and Wilko ever have a sale again so you can justify it.

Cheers guys

Happy brewing

Drew

Welcome aboard Drew, I'm doing very much the same thing with kits. Brewing them with Brew Enhancer, then bumping them up to about 6+% with honey/Golden Syrup/dark brown sugar. I add a hop tea at the start, dry hop nine days in and then bottle. I'm drinking a Coopers Stout and a John Bull IPA, I bottled a Coopers Dark Ale with Mosaic last week and I've got a Cooper English Bitter and a couple of Wilko kits to do. Here's a link to pimping kits that might be helpful: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=69567

Welcome.
I boost kits with grain and extra hops, unless they are premium kits.
In order of simplicity it's
- dry hop or a hop tea
- grain steep usually 30 minutes at 65*C or thereabouts followed by a wort boil for 15 mins to sterilise
- mini mash with pale malt and often torrified wheat
I also do partial mash extract brewing with or without grain steeps and/or minimashes and that's not a great deal more complex and can provide an opportunity to experiment, and you don't need a massive pot to do it since you don't need to boil all of the extract.

Latest posts

Back