Flaked Barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok with regards to the flaked barley.
Have had my 'ordinary' bitter bottled for a few days and it's pretty damn cloudy. Normally my beers are quite clear,verging on very clear even when first bottled.
Anyone have opinions as to if it will clear ok with time?

Can't see why not - mine clear rapidly and completely. In fact, I made a lager-type beer a few weeks ago and it's almost as pale as water. I chucked some FB in just to give a little body and head, and it is star-bright. If I can be bothered to get off the sofa at some point I'll take a pic.

Can't see why not - mine clear rapidly and completely. In fact, I made a lager-type beer a few weeks ago and it's almost as pale as water. I chucked some FB in just to give a little body and head, and it is star-bright. If I can be bothered to get off the sofa at some point I'll take a pic.
:thumb:Yea it will probably clear ok,just never used f/barley before and in all honesty have only had one murky'ish beer ever.
ta

I think this will add something more to my porters that I notice a lot from commercial beers.
Is Holland an b the cheapest for this grain? Seems like the go to place. I guess it's the postage that's the niggle

Edit

It's thirty p cheaper at my closest hb store. I'll be popping in there

Beer Geek Breakfast is a great breakfast stout to have a go at if you have the Mikkeller book :)

Can u post the grains required for this mate? I'm planning on a trip to my hb shop once I get back from holiday. Cheers

What percentage of Barley would you recommend against the total grain bill ?

Ha M and his terrified wheat!
Incidentally I've just looked at the hb Web site...there's the flaked barley also oats,rye and maize meal....can these be used? Also what else can we use from there?

Ha M and his terrified wheat!
Incidentally I've just looked at the hb Web site...there's the flaked barley also oats,rye and maize meal....can these be used? Also what else can we use from there?
Have used the flaked rye alongside malted rye,no reason not to be able to use it on it's own.Oats are fine,might be cheaper however from local supermarket.

Just a heads up on the subject, holland b doing buy one get one half price on everything til 26th.
So got the second bag of flaked barley for 65p. Bargain

Flaked barley has a very high beta-glucan content and that contributes to body and mouthfeel. I experimented with flaked barley for a couple of years and eventually found it to contribute too much graininess to pale beers. That contribution resulted in a distracting flavor in those pale beers. We all know that raw and flaked barley works very well in Irish dry stout, but I believe that is due to the roast flavors overwhelming the barley graininess. Most pale beers don't have enough to hide behind.

Even at less than 1 percent of the grist, flaked barley just didn't provide a result that I enjoyed. I've since moved on to often using a small percentage of flaked wheat in my beers to enhance body and head. I find that the flaked wheat has a more pleasant and complimentary flavor in pale beers.

Each to their own I suppose. Me, I can't stand wheat in beer but love flaked barley and the graininess it imparts. Often use 10% of the grain bill and even used a goodly amount in a recent lager-type beer. Extremely pale in colour and guess what... no haze whatsoever. I do wish that folk who should know better would stop perpetuating this myth. Perhaps they've read it in a book somewhere but not in practise.

I've also read polenta should be ok to use too as that is made from maize

I read in a newspaper recipe that technically polenta isn't polenta until you add liquid to it, up until then it's just cornmeal. Given what it does when you cook it, I'd imagine it would make a mash very gummy, but I stand to be corrected.

Get some of the hippy cornflakes as these are essentially flaked maize without all the additives in normal cornflakes. I'm making a cream ale this eve using some of these http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...MI1d2UmvSu1gIV55PtCh1O7AsiEAQYASABEgKEX_D_BwE

I've also read polenta should be ok to use too as that is made from maize
I've a lager I'm going to brew for SWMBO but I'm going to use popcorn in the mash as I've purchased 1kg via eBay.Should be interesting as it will be my first though was £7.00 for a kilo.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I read in a newspaper recipe that technically polenta isn't polenta until you add liquid to it, up until then it's just cornmeal. Given what it does when you cook it, I'd imagine it would make a mash very gummy, but I stand to be corrected.

I dont know tbh as I've never used it. I read about using it over at jims

I've a lager I'm going to brew for SWMBO but I'm going to use popcorn in the mash as I've purchased 1kg via eBay.Should be interesting as it will be my first though was �£7.00 for a kilo.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

That's interesting, I've never heard of using popcorn as an adjunct. The only concern I would have is, dont you use oil to make it pop (I did when I used to make it), which would go well with the beer

That's interesting, I've never heard of using popcorn as an adjunct. The only concern I would have is, dont you use oil to make it pop (I did when I used to make it), which would go well with the beer

Done a bit of research on an american site which recomends btween 10 - 20% with Pilsner malt.Kernels to be dry heated in a hot pan or popcorn maker and added too the mash-tun so I'm going to give it a whirl as I'd be an inqusitive sort of person:whistle:
By the way,I got the pricing wrong as it £7.95 for 2kilo.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-KILO-2x1KG-NATURAL-Popcorn-Pop-Corn-Maize-Seeds-Raw-Popping-Kernels-NON-GMO/222283964275?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Done a bit of research on an american site which recomends btween 10 - 20% with Pilsner malt.Kernels to be dry heated in a hot pan or popcorn maker and added too the mash-tun so I'm going to give it a whirl as I'd be an inqusitive sort of person:whistle:

I deffo think it will work. How are you going to do it, dry pan or pop corn maker?
This eve is the first time I've made a cream ale, in fact it's the first time I'll have even drank one. If I like it, pop corn would be cheaper than H&B hippy cornflakes I think

I deffo think it will work. How are you going to do it, dry pan or pop corn maker?
This eve is the first time I've made a cream ale, in fact it's the first time I'll have even drank one. If I like it, pop corn would be cheaper than H&B hippy cornflakes I think

I have a 52l mash-tun so I'm going to go with 20% using the 2 kilo popped in a dry pan with 3 kilo of Minch Pilsner Malt.
I'm going to layer the mash-tun with 1 kilo of pilsner on the base then add 1 kilo of popcorn then pilsner,popcorn and pilsner.
I've been messing with under letting from the Burco boiler to the mash-tun and haven't had any dough balls and my efficiency has increased by around 12% so I want to layer and underlet to avoid a stuck mash and try to blend all ingredients as best as possible.
First time so shall be interesting and hoping to get it done this week as I'm finishing shift this evening so have till Saturday night to get it sorted.

Latest posts

Back