Hello and help! Elderflower Champagne advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I realise that I am posting at least an year later but as I am trying to make my first batch of elderflower Champagne I am trying to choose a recipe and was looking to see how your second batch turned out? Better or worse than the first one?

Thanks

Tweaked the recipe this year:

For a 30 litre batch of about 11.5%:

7 kg of sugar
9 big lemons (juice and zest)
Flowers from about 80-100 elderflower heads (rip the main stalks off)
Champagne yeast (1 sachet)
Yeast nutrient (5 tsp)
Citric acid (4 tsp)

Dissolve the sugar in hot water to half full ish, put in lemon juice, zest n flowers. Top up to about 28l.

Dissolve the acid n nutritient in a bit of water and stir in. 'Pitch' the yeast (put it in a cup of warm water for 15 minutes, then chuck it in too).

Lid, bubble trap, done. Ferment to dry, bottle with 10g priming sugar per litre.

Hiya - both were good; my recommendation would probably be to drop the alcohol content a couple of percent; it affected the taste a bit I think. Never had any bottle problems, 10g/l priming sugar just right. Don't go overboard on the elderflower, as it can be a bit too offputtingly floral if you're not careful :)

Sorry I realise that I am posting at least an year later but as I am trying to make my first batch of elderflower Champagne I am trying to choose a recipe and was looking to see how your second batch turned out? Better or worse than the first one?

Thanks

What would you drop the alcohol to? Same level as first recipe or last recipe or lower than both. I was considering using 1kg per 5L?

This is the recipe I was going for trying to mimic your first batch. Did you use white or red grape?
1kg sugar(1.060SG)
30gr dried elderflower
2 lemons+100ml juice
4.5L water
0.6L grape juice
yeast
yeast nutrient

Would you change this?

Hiya - both were good; my recommendation would probably be to drop the alcohol content a couple of percent; it affected the taste a bit I think. Never had any bottle problems, 10g/l priming sugar just right. Don't go overboard on the elderflower, as it can be a bit too offputtingly floral if you're not careful :)

Back