woodfords wherry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam51

Reaction score
hi all, just started a woodfords nelsons revenge,and wherry.
the nelsons is bubbling well,
but the wherry is doing nothing.
these were started on sat 28.12 13.
any reason why the wherry is not happening.
thanks sam.

Patience, give it another day and check with the hydrometer to see if the gravity has changed, maybe the yeast is just taking its time to get to work.

You haven't given a lot of information to make any guesses or ideas with so can't say a lot more than that at the moment.

Its worth using the search function near the top to have a look for similar topics others have put up for some ideas as well :)

:cheers:

thanks, im new to this,
but have done a nelsons revenge before which was good,
ive got a st peters ruby red in the shed conditioning,
which tastes good.
just thought the wherry would have shown some signs of bubbling.
ive brewed this to 21ltrs,instead of 23ltrs,
the temp is 22 degrees.

thanks bob,i thought I read that somewhere,
I have 40 pints of st peters, and 40 pints of cider in the shed, conditioning.
they are wrapped in insulated aluminium foil.
its about 4 degrees in there,
will they be alright, or is it too cold.
thanks sam.

What temp have you got where it is? You want around 20c. As for your other beer at 4c it should be fine. Ideally you should aim for 13c but unless you have a temperature controlled cellar you are not going to achieve that. Mine is in the shed and all has been fine. Although it's 8c today.

hi bob its in the kitchen.
kitchen is 21 degrees,
ale at 22 degrees.
thanks sam.

I just put one on yesterday morning and this morning there was a nice thick krausen on top.
So i cant really help you there but yours should have started by now.

just checked the sg.
starting SG was 1042. it is now 1020,
so something is working.
given it a stir as yeast was floating on top.
bit strange as the air lock is showing no signs of bubbling.
fingers crossed.

I started one yesterday and all day and night there was nothing but when I looked today it was going well so can't help but have read it slow starter

I've done two wherry kits now and as you I was concerned with my first one. The airlock never bubbled at all, in fact i don't think the airlock was even necessary with the wherry. After 2 weeks at 20c and leaving it alone I got a final gravity of 1010 and a lovely pint (well, 40) of ale. Don't worry about it, leave it alone and it will be fine.

Don't rely on an airlock for sign of fermentation.
Unless your fv has a very good seal then it's a common problem that the co2 escapes without going through the airlock making you think nothing is happening.

Always use a hydrometer to get an accurate measure of fermentation not an airlock

sam51 said:
starting SG was 1042. it is now 1020,
so something is working.
given it a stir as yeast was floating on top.
bit strange as the air lock is showing no signs of bubbling.

Glad it's going. As yours is in a bucket it's probably leaking pressure around the seal rather than the airlock. But it's clearly fermenting so just leave it alone to do it's thing.

Back