Buying together

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid curry

Reaction score
Are there any members around the Stoke on Trent area who would be interested in getting together to buy ingredients etc. and hopefully save some money?

Jez

It could be worthwhile looking for local homebrew or winemaking groups in your area, run a few adds on gumtree or similar social sites.

I'm in the stoke area and would be willing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in Telford so it might be feasible although the travel time might make it a none starter?

Another option that a few people on here use is to contact a local brewery and see if they'll sell you ingredients on the cheap.

Buy in bulk as it does work out cheaper but then if you are tight for storage that may be a problem.:thumb:
I have a mate who also brews and we would regularly take turns saving on postage.

Hi!
I've been looking into this as SWMBO wants a vacuum sealing gizmo.
Buying 5kg Cascade hops (for example) works out at £1.80 per 100g, a Mylar bag is about 10p (cheaper if sourced from China), and postage about £1.25. That's £3.15 for 100g hops, p&p included. Of course, postage rates per 100g would be cheaper on larger packets.
I don't know whether that's cheap enough to make all the effort worthwhile.

Hi!
I've been looking into this as SWMBO wants a vacuum sealing gizmo.
Buying 5kg Cascade hops (for example) works out at �£1.80 per 100g, a Mylar bag is about 10p (cheaper if sourced from China), and postage about �£1.25. That's �£3.15 for 100g hops, p&p included. Of course, postage rates per 100g would be cheaper on larger packets.
I don't know whether that's cheap enough to make all the effort worthwhile.

You'll have to 'mod' the vacuum sealer (there's youtube vids on how to do it) as regular domestic vacuum sealers dont work on mylar bags

You'll have to 'mod' the vacuum sealer (there's youtube vids on how to do it) as regular domestic vacuum sealers dont work on mylar bags

Hi!
Thanks for the advice.
I saw your previous post on this subject and have seen the various mods available, so I'm going into experimental mode!
Colin

Back