Any whisky connoisseurs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
In our local tesco express I see they have Talisker Skye single malt reduced from £40 down to £25. I don't know the first thing about whisky, is it worth getting at that price?

I'm not a connaisseur, but if you are not one either a £20 bottle or £40 one will not make that much of a difference. But spending that £5 extra makes you more familiar with your palet so I'd say go for it.

Usually a £40 bottle of whatever does not taste better then a £20 bottle on. But afterwards, the £20 one doesn’t taste as good as the £40 one. That's how you train your brain.

I'm not a connaisseur, but if you are not one either a �£20 bottle or �£40 one will not make that much of a difference. But spending that �£5 extra makes you more familiar with your palet so I'd say go for it.

Usually a �£40 bottle of whatever does not taste better then a �£20 bottle on. But afterwards, the �£20 one doesn’t taste as good as the �£40 one. That's how you train your brain.

I've had rather a lot to drink tonight I'll try re-reading your post tomorrow to see if I understand it better :oops:

I got off on the wrong foot when I started whiskey. My first bottle was a gift from an extremely wealthy friend, 25 year Macallan. Now every whiskey that hits my pallet is being compared to what was programmed in. I still love bourbon and Rye. But I have to bust out the wallet twice a year now to always have a bottle of Macallan on hand.

Lidls do a whisky that is rated 88 on the Murray scale. Its £13.49 a bottle called Glen Orchy, a fantastic blended whisky.

The average rating for a £100 bottle of whiskey on the Murray scale is about 82.

I love it, and not just because its cheap.

MORRISONS.....! TWO BOTTLES - FAMOUS GROUSE (75cl) = �£20 (yep...10 quid each). Or mix n match with other spirits Gordons gin, Smirnoff Vodka, Brandy (think 3 barrels), Rum (can't remember brand), or Bailey's cream liquer. Forget Tesco' s - get on down to your local Morrisons........:arrow::arrow::arrow:

Last edited:
In our local tesco express I see they have Talisker Skye single malt reduced from �£40 down to �£25. I don't know the first thing about whisky, is it worth getting at that price?

As Brazilian said, that is a smokey beast. Its an Islay malt, so think like Laphroaig and Lagavulin - both really good whiskies in the £40 range.
Talisker is a really nice one, well worth £25 all day long.
Smokey, peaty and very strong on the palette.
Talisker can be a little full on, if you find it is just mix it with a drop or two of water and it transforms into a different drink, it gets smooth, smokey and a little tad sweet.

I'll be nipping into Tesco tommorrow for a bottle or two for the cupboard.

Thanks for the heads up.

As Brazilian said, that is a smokey beast. Its an Islay malt, so think like Laphroaig and Lagavulin - both really good whiskies in the �£40 range.
Talisker is a really nice one, well worth �£25 all day long.
Smokey, peaty and very strong on the palette.
Talisker can be a little full on, if you find it is just mix it with a drop or two of water and it transforms into a different drink, it gets smooth, smokey and a little tad sweet.

I'll be nipping into Tesco tommorrow for a bottle or two for the cupboard.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the advice, I picked one up this morning. It was actually £27 plus I had a £3 voucher and my wife's 10% discount so I got it for £21 :thumb:

Hey, Talisker certainly is not an Islay malt!!
I used to live 4 miles from the distillery on the Isle of Skye. :)
My wife likes Talisker whiskies very much - among her favourites.
It's definitely not got the same strong peat-smoked tang as Laphroaig, Bowmore or Lagavulin - 3 of my favourites.
Go for it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

In our local tesco express I see they have Talisker Skye single malt reduced from �£40 down to �£25. I don't know the first thing about whisky, is it worth getting at that price?

If you like your whisky tasting like an ashtray then go for it. The only whiskies I hate are scots island ones. But each to their own - loads of people savour the smokiness of it.

If you want smooth whiskeys you need to think Irish. There is a Welsh whiskey called Penderhyn that is a lovely drink and nearly as smooth as an Irish.

The scotch I drink is usually from the Speyside - smoother with less smoke than the others. Favorite speyside scotch is Glen Fiddich - beautiful drink.

Nicest Whiskey I have ever tasted is Middleton Very Rare. A blended Whiskey that sets you back £150 a bottle - though it is made for drinking. Plenty of pubs sell it over here but it will set you back 10-15 quid per measure.

One of my favourites is Ledaig from Tobermory. I've got a Jura and litre of Jamesons on stand by..another nice one is Tulamore Dew. I like whiskey but get plastered too easily...

Cheers

Clint

If you like your whisky tasting like an ashtray then go for it. The only whiskies I hate are scots island ones. But each to their own - loads of people savour the smokiness of it.

If you want smooth whiskeys you need to think Irish. There is a Welsh whiskey called Penderhyn that is a lovely drink and nearly as smooth as an Irish.

The scotch I drink is usually from the Speyside - smoother with less smoke than the others. Favorite speyside scotch is Glen Fiddich - beautiful drink.

Nicest Whiskey I have ever tasted is Middleton Very Rare. A blended Whiskey that sets you back �£150 a bottle - though it is made for drinking. Plenty of pubs sell it over here but it will set you back 10-15 quid per measure.

Well I had a taste and in thought it was bloody nice. It certainly is very smokey but I actually quite like that. I live about an hour from the Bushmills distillery, I had one of those last night at my dad's and it is definitely a lot smoother than the Talisker but nowhere near as good.
I do enjoy a whisky now and again but it's not something I know a lot about. I like to have a few bottles in the house cos I have a few friends who love it.

Worth a visit if you're up there is the whisky shop in Tomintoul. He's got a giant bottle in there worth I think he said 50k! I thought it was a gimmick and started dinging my wedding ring on the side of it to see if it was real....he nearly layed an egg!

Cheers

Clint

One of my favourites is Ledaig from Tobermory. I've got a Jura and litre of Jamesons on stand by..another nice one is Tulamore Dew. I like whiskey but get plastered too easily...

Cheers

Clint

I've had the Jura, very nice indeed. Probably the best I've tasted was a Caol Ila cask strength which was fantastic.

Back