Holland & Barrett Malt Extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a few days off so decided on wednesday I woudl do a brew with left overs.. however had much less grain than I thought!!!

so decided to pop a little walk to my local tesco which has a H&B in.. grabbed two jars (and have a loyalty card too)

so going for a mini mash and going to top up with this extract, will be interested to see how this extract gets on.. a couple of quid for a jar is pretty good value imo

Have a few days off so decided on wednesday I woudl do a brew with left overs.. however had much less grain than I thought!!!

so decided to pop a little walk to my local tesco which has a H&B in.. grabbed two jars (and have a loyalty card too)

so going for a mini mash and going to top up with this extract, will be interested to see how this extract gets on.. a couple of quid for a jar is pretty good value imo
that card at HB makes a big difference

H&B have their 'buy one get one half price' sale on again. Their own brand LME is included but has recently increased in price from £2.69 to £2.99, but when on offer like now still represents quite good value and more importantly is OK for brewing.
The larger jars of Potters LME is also included but works out slightly more expensive.

There may be many more "offers" at H&B over the next few weeks. :thumb:

This traditional "British" high street shop was owned by an American Venture Capital Company but it was bought by a Russian millionaire over the weekend. :doh:

...cravats the lot! It's a young persons clothes shop...lots of pictures of thin people adorn the walls having a spiffing time wearing jumpers tied around the shoulders,skinny jeans and anything gingham....

There may be many more "offers" at H&B over the next few weeks. :thumb:

This traditional "British" high street shop was owned by an American Venture Capital Company but it was bought by a Russian millionaire over the weekend. :doh:

It's a lot of money to spend buying a shop just to get cheap malt extract [emoji23]

Is the Meridian malt extract any good? My local health shop (not H&B) has it for £1.50 a jar all the time

H&B have their 'buy one get one half price' sale on again. Their own brand LME is included but has recently increased in price from ��£2.69 to ��£2.99, but when on offer like now still represents quite good value and more importantly is OK for brewing.
The larger jars of Potters LME is also included but works out slightly more expensive.
Yup, got mine a few weeks ago on buy one get one half price and combined them with some 20% off vouchers which saved even more:thumb:then got more 20% off vouchers back again for use in July:grin:

Says their own brand contains. ."wheat,rye,barley and oats"....
Used it loads of times in conjunction with either spray malt in all extract brews and with Base malt etc in partial mashes,no problemo. The Potters malt is darker and is good for stout's and black ipa's etc:thumb:

In partial mashes you say? Any conceivable difference between that and say coopers light in a pale ale type brew?

Cheers

Clint
At their offer price against hb online price for coopers light at 9.95 you say a massive 1.6p per gramme. But you have to consider p&p etc...

I've just put 2 jars + a can of black treacle into a Geordie bitter kit be interesting to see how It turns Out. Thanks for the heads up I shall be getting a couple more tomorrow.

Cheers Pete

Can see this being a rather nice dark looking sweet stout especially from the black treacle which I have used before, and a stout it was, very nice settling in at 7.8% rocket fuel you may say :whistle: :lol:

I've never brewed with the H&B extract, but it's excellent for starters and cheaper then DME

Only if P&P is ignored. If you're buying other stuff at the same time online then H&B is more expensive and because it's liquid it's difficult to store once opened.

Example:

H&B buy 1 get one half price: 454g x 2 = 908g for �£4.48 or 0.493p/g
THBC online: light spraymalt: 1000g for �£5.50 or 0.55 p/g

LME is roughly 20% water so you need 20% more of it to match a recipe weight specified for DME. So, for a 1l starter @100g DME/120g LME we have:

LME: 0.493p x 120 = 59.16p
DME: 0.55p x 100 = 55p

So there we go, a whole 4p cheaper to use DME.

I'll show myself out... :whistle:

Back