Hop Growers.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope these are the start of the cones forming,cant say I remember them starting like these last year and I read somewhere recently that hops can change sex on occasions,maybe johnnyboy65 will enlighten me on as to wether that is possible or just an urban myth:thumb:and put my mind to rest

Thats them. They are the flowers forming, though a little late in the year. Id expect them to be 2/3 weeks further on. Nothing to worry about, its down to the weather and there is nothing you can do about that. Time to give them a feed.

You're just making me jealous and at the same time feeling terribly stupid that I paid fifteen quid for a weed! :doh:

I hope my Prima Donna doesn't kill off the nearby 20 metre high chestnut trees that I rely on for my autumn snacks! :whistle:

Then you are lucky, all chestnuts here in the neighbourhood are always infested by grubs.

To put your mind at rest Godsdog, the only hop which has changed sex and only briefly is the Cascade usually in its first season. The hop is not related to Cannabis as some might think which often displays hermaphroditism.

Then you are lucky, all chestnuts here in the neighbourhood are always infested by grubs.

For whatever reason (maybe the tree knows), the wind-falls always seem to have a higher percentage of grubs than the chestnuts picked directly from the tree. I try and pick them and as a result we have about 1 grub in 5 châtaignes. :thumb:

We also have a walnut tree nearby and so far it has always produced grub-free nuts! Unfortunately, the local kids know about it as well. :doh:

Not long now and we will be back foraging in the hedgerows of France (aka paradise) for freebies! :thumb:

The chestnut trees here in the neighbourhood are a) too high, b) belong to the neighbours :lol:

To put your mind at rest Godsdog, the only hop which has changed sex and only briefly is the Cascade usually in its first season. The hop is not related to Cannabis as some might think which often displays hermaphroditism.

Humulus Lupulus was reclassified in 2002 and put into the Cannabinaceae group, They are distantly related.
Male/female....this is why you should only plant rhizomes/cuttings and not grown from seeds.

anyone know what this little sh1t creature is that's eating my baby centennial leaves and how to treat the plant? ta

IMG_20170807_095238[1].jpg

anyone know what this little sh1t creature is that's eating my baby centennial leaves and how to treat the plant? ta

Looks like a caterpillar of the Comma butterfly. They absolutely love hops. Their second favourite is nettles apparently. I found some on my Fuggle a week or so ago. It's amazing how well they fly when you assist them a little. The extra purchase you can offer with a coal shovel or tennis racket or something really gives them a lift :rolleyes: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :clap: :clap:

Humulus Lupulus was reclassified in 2002 and put into the Cannabinaceae group, They are distantly related.
Male/female....this is why you should only plant rhizomes/cuttings and not grown from seeds.

Correct same group but different genus, one is Humulus the other Cannabis.

Back