• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - Demijohns (near Wetherby)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got a plum tree which has lots of plums growing on it this year - still a way off ripe - but its got me thinking about trying a batch of plumb wine.

I am currently only brewing ale so have a lot of the kit required for fermenting wines but could do with some demijohns.

I am keeping an eye on Ebay but thought it was worth putting a shout out to see if anyone in Leeds, Harrogate or York or thereabouts had any demijohns they wanted to move on ?

Would consider 2, 4 or 6 as could use them for some batch splitting ale brewing also.

I have 3 I'm not using within 3 miles of Wetherby!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have 3 I'm not using within 3 miles of Wetherby!

Wow, any idea how much you looking for for them ? How does £10 and 2 bottles of Wetherby Best Bitter sound for them ?

I can collect obviously.

Wow, any idea how much you looking for for them ? How does £10 and 2 bottles of Wetherby Best Bitter sound for them ?

I can collect obviously.

That sounds like an absolute steal and a deal.

I'm away with my 5yo ATM but am back up on Sunday and will be about all evening- looking at your username may be very easy to collect/ drop of as I am in Boston Spa

Hi!
I always start my blackberry wine off in 5 litre supermarket water bottles for a few weeks before transferring to glass demijohns - I was advised that it speeds the ageing process for red wines.

That sounds like an absolute steal and a deal.

I'm away with my 5yo ATM but am back up on Sunday and will be about all evening- looking at your username may be very easy to collect/ drop of as I am in Boston Spa

Cheers, I have replied to your pm about collecting Sunday morning

Hi!
I always start my blackberry wine off in 5 litre supermarket water bottles for a few weeks before transferring to glass demijohns - I was advised that it speeds the ageing process for red wines.

Thanks, considered using plastic water bottles if didn't have any glass demijohns but wasn't aware there was an advantage to plastic in terms of fast wine fermentation. Will look that up

Plastic bottles do not (as far as i know) speed up fermentation but it is believed they do speed up ageing as they are air permeable i have used both for supermarket juice wine making and to be honest i didn't notice any difference but as i have said i do not age mine for long.

It has been said (for the above reason) plastic is not good for long term ageing and also there is a risk of chemicals leeching into your wine as these bottles are not designed to hold alcohol, i moved to glass demijohns and bottles soon after reading about the leeching which to be honest was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but looking back i am glad i did switch, i still use my plastic FV when making 30 bottle kits.

Plastic bottles do not (as far as i know) speed up fermentation but it is believed they do speed up ageing as they are air permeable i have used both for supermarket juice wine making and to be honest i didn't notice any difference but as i have said i do not age mine for long.

It has been said (for the above reason) plastic is not good for long term ageing and also there is a risk of chemicals leeching into your wine as these bottles are not designed to hold alcohol, i moved to glass demijohns and bottles soon after reading about the leeching which to be honest was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but looking back i am glad i did switch, i still use my plastic FV when making 30 bottle kits.

I am collecting some glass demijohns off Garagespace this week so no need to go the plastic route.

Back