Football Money - Noses in the Trough

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This caught my eye today....
"Neymar's father asked PSG to delay formal negotiations with Barcelona over a £450m deal for his son until after 31 July - that is the day when he earns a £23.3m commission for his part in persuading the forward to sign a new contract with the Nou Camp club last October"
Not only are there players getting megabucks, and agents sucking money out of the game, but there are other hangers-on as well .
So I hope the folks who pay lots of money for their Sky Sports subscriptions and pay big money for their premiership club season tickets (especially in London) let alone one-off match tickets feel they are getting real value for money, for what is effectively a bunch of blokes kicking a ball about for a little over 90 minutes once or twice a week.
Anyone :whistle:.

I will never fathom why anyone, anywhere, would part with a single penny to watch sport of any description, let alone the above. The team / individual either wins or does not. Try again next time, the world keeps turning. Someone will always be able to run faster, jump higher,throw further etc etc. And???? A proper job, day in day out, year after year would kill these 'heroes'.

Both the above posts could be levelled at most (if not all) forms of entertainment, be it music, tv, sport, films, theatre, art or literature. I'm sure someone has made a shed load of money on the back of JK Rowling. Why some one would pay good money for a book about wizards is beyond me, but there will always be someone willing to write them, instead of doing a proper job.

Both the above posts could be levelled at most (if not all) forms of entertainment, be it music, tv, sport, films, theatre, art or literature.

Spot on why is it always football that gets slated.

I like to watch football but travelling to games plus the price of a ticket is far too expensive so i watch on T.V i have just sighed up to Sky sports (all channels) for £8:50 per month i don't think that is a rip off.

I watch my local game (see avatar.) £11 for decent quality football and we get the chance to play these fan boys once in a blue moon.

Money has ruined the game but if we didn't pay more and more then the pyramid scheme would come toppling down - it will some day.

I do pay for Virgin TV but don't pay extra for sports. Illegal streaming is a bit rubbish so I don't do it (anymore) but I wouldn't pay the extra for the legit sources. Each to his own.

I watch my local game (see avatar.) £11 for decent quality football and we get the chance to play these fan boys once in a blue moon.

Money has ruined the game but if we didn't pay more and more then the pyramid scheme would come toppling down - it will some day.

I do pay for Virgin TV but don't pay extra for sports. Illegal streaming is a bit rubbish so I don't do it (anymore) but I wouldn't pay the extra for the legit sources. Each to his own.

Came over to a preseason game at Glentoran a few years back. Great welcome for my team's fans. Dundee United by the way.

Much less in the news but still a money maker ..fishing. I used to be a great fan and avid watcher on the TV of John Wilson of Go Fishing. The programmes were up to date,interesting and Mr Wilson came across as a likeable,jolly chap who would definitely borrow you a hook...
I changed my mind when I saw him flatly refuse to autograph a junior fans magazine because he had not bought it off him on the day....arrogant pig! The lad was gutted...

I do not have a local club and as the club i have always supported is in the PL i have the option of travelling many miles and paying for a ticket (i could not afford to do that every week) watch on T.V and pay through the nose as a Sky customer (or cheaper for the time being as a TT customer as i mentioned above) or stream it illegally which usually means poor picture quality and buffering, Its not the fans fault prices have rocketed Sky should never have been allowed to turn a working mans game into a business but they were and sadly it will never go back.

Both the above posts could be levelled at most (if not all) forms of entertainment, be it music, tv, sport, films, theatre, art or literature. I'm sure someone has made a shed load of money on the back of JK Rowling. Why some one would pay good money for a book about wizards is beyond me, but there will always be someone willing to write them, instead of doing a proper job.

Out of that list, only sport has winners and losers. Or is it nothing to do with who wins and just about the entertainment value? Seems I've been missing the point all along. Have you not read Tolkien? Great stuff until they wrecked it all with films.

Out of that list, only sport has winners and losers. Or is it nothing to do with who wins and just about the entertainment value? Seems I've been missing the point all along. Have you not read Tolkien? Great stuff until they wrecked it all with films.

No winners, or losers in the stories of Tolkien? Either the books or films?

No winners, or losers in the stories of Tolkien? Either the books or films?

Ye but they didn't come back year after year after year to re-enact it all. They are stories with a beginning and an end. I think you're being very troublesome for the sake of it.

Not at all. Just making the point that the win/lose narrative gets told over and over, yet people still pay to see it, whether it is be sport or a more conventional story formats.

....life is just that! Win or lose. .or draw,but that's not exciting...doesn't matter if it's football,star wars or lord of the rings. ...same old stories..love,hate,good, evil....football is rubbish though...image the pandemonium if if stopped! Thousands might for once have to think about something worthwhile. ..

It's called the free market. No one is made to pay or watch football. It does not cost the taxpayer, in fact the revenue do well from it, so why the moaning. I don't like motor sports, or strictly come dancing or X f*ckter and I especially dislike musicals but would never preach to people that do like them.

football is rubbish though...image the pandemonium if if stopped! Thousands might for once have to think about something worthwhile. ..

That is your view and you are entitled to it and it is my view of people who watch the procession called F1, tennis, athletics, rugby, cricket (and the list goes on) the difference between me and you is i do not feel the need to go on forums telling fans of these sports they are rubbish and they should stop watching them and do something worthwhile instead :roll:

It's called the free market. No one is made to pay or watch football. It does not cost the taxpayer, in fact the revenue do well from it, so why the moaning. I don't like motor sports, or strictly come dancing or X f*ckter and I especially dislike musicals but would never preach to people that do like them.

Well said Trueblue :clap:

...didn't say the fans were rubbish. The state the "sport" has got into is rubbish and the hysteria it creates is nonesense. Like most other things that get swallowed up by the media machine and the rest.

.didn't say the fans were rubbish

I didn't read it that way i knew you meant the sport they watch is rubbish.

The state the "sport" has got into is rubbish and the hysteria it creates is nonesense. Like most other things that get swallowed up by the media machine and the rest.

I agree as i said earlier football is not a working mans game (like it used to be) and the wages the players get in the PL is obscene but its not the players or the fans fault it has gone this way its the T.V deals.

Football IS rubbish, and every other sport for that matter. But that is just my opinion, as others may have the opinion that fiddling with motorbikes is rubbish. My objection is being subjected to it every which way I look. Surely genuine fans can seek out fixtures, teevee coverage etc without the promoters feeling that everyone in the world should get on board. But that's marketing for you I suppose and going by what the players and everyone else is paid, they're doing a damn good job of it. I think their talents are a complete waste and could be put to much, much better use than flogging a kickabout.

Latest posts

Back