Yeast harvesting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Could someone give me a guide as to how to harvest yeast from the FV on bottling day?

I have tried it once but didn't end up with much yeast at the end of it all.

Cheers

Go to YouTube and watch a video
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=yeast harvesting&sm=1

You can bottle or keg your beer leaving a small amount of beer to cover the leftover yeast in the fermenter
Ready some sterilised Manson jars in boiling water, lift out of the water, empty the water from them popping the lids on as soon as they are empty, sterilise a spoon then scoop just the top section of the yeast leaving all the old yeast and gunk behind, put into the sterile Manson jars, cover the yeast with a lite beer like bud lite, seal and put in a fridge
As I understand it the yeast will stay healthy if left like that for at least 6 months
The bud lite method is supposed to better then washing yeast as it leaves it undisturbed in a better environment

+1 on above and you don't even need to scoop it as you can pour straight from the fermenter.
8f5bd6cc4f4398ff2fec38d673176d7f.jpg
84808a45af0270c138ed536913136437.jpg
e791a85661ffc1076766ca2f508c31dd.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

+1 on above and you don't even need to scoop it as you can pour straight from the fermenter.
8f5bd6cc4f4398ff2fec38d673176d7f.jpg
84808a45af0270c138ed536913136437.jpg
e791a85661ffc1076766ca2f508c31dd.jpg

So you don't have to separate the trub from the yeast?

When wanting to use, do you use everything in your jar, or just the stuff settled at the bottom?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

When wanting to use, do you use everything in your jar, or just the stuff settled at the bottom?

I'm currently collecting a few at the moment and have three in secondary from 1st gen yeast trub collected from fermenter, refrigerated and then brought to room temperature before pitching.All three are 1.010,1.009 and 1.008 and had all started within a few hours of pitching.
b03d6b18e0bc40704e3ceeecc32785cc.jpg

Oh sorry forgot to say that I just shake the lot and pitch.Experimenting at the minute so try what you think and don't be afraid to try something different as a lot of people have done so since beer was invented and look where that has got us....:whistle::thumb:

Sorry folks, just to be clear, you don't bother rinsing? Just use the trub?

I definitely like this idea, but just checking that's what you do.

Also, from the trub from one fermenter, would you pitch all of this to a new brew? Or half, or a third?

Also, from the trub from one fermenter, would you pitch all of this to a new brew? Or half, or a third?

I have never rinsed. I just take a jar full. Usually re-use food jars but also got some kilner jars that I use.

Problem is now you're over thinking.As Leon has said just pitch a jar be it a jam jar for example and take it from there.[emoji106]

Just posting this for posterity.

Decanted my Passion Fruit IPA to secondary FV for dry hopping, and poured the trub from the primary into these two jars.

I'm guessing it'll settle through time and a chill?
dc4a5d97cd3996671268a21036d974b5.jpg

What I used to do was swirl up the trub with some left over beer in the fv, pour into a sanitised 1l jar, leave for half an hour to settle and the carefully pour off the top half in to a 500ml jar, that way you get rid of a lot of the heavier trub. It never looked like I got much white yeast in the jar but it was enough to ferment another batch.

I prefer overbuilding these days, find it easier and no trub to worry about.

Back