Means testing the state pension a possibility?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to think that those who have done nothing but hold their hand out all their life suddenly come to the realisation, just before they die, what a waste of a life they have had. I like to think that, but in reality I think they wil ljust die without any regrets.:-(

Bound to happen at some point, the potential savings are enormous and cuts to the state pension could mean that huge swathes of other spending could be protected. I'm 32 in well paid employment and one way or another I don't expect to get a state pension. You can't go pulling the rug out from under people who've been paying in for their whole lives (as opposed to 10 years for me) and are getting close to retirement though, that would be totally unfair.

Bound to happen at some point, the potential savings are enormous and cuts to the state pension could mean that huge swathes of other spending could be protected. I'm 32 in well paid employment and one way or another I don't expect to get a state pension. You can't go pulling the rug out from under people who've been paying in for their whole lives (as opposed to 10 years for me) and are getting close to retirement though, that would be totally unfair.

Sorry,but we old UN's have paid for our pensions and as such should be ring fenced,don't punish the pensioners for living too long,it needs addressing for the pensioners in the future by making sure they are paying enough in sub's to pay for theirs, maybe by giving less to the professional scroungers and lay about,I don't get mine until next august but have been self supported retired for 2 years from an occupationional pension I took early

Bound to happen at some point, the potential savings are enormous and cuts to the state pension could mean that huge swathes of other spending could be protected. I'm 32 in well paid employment and one way or another I don't expect to get a state pension. You can't go pulling the rug out from under people who've been paying in for their whole lives (as opposed to 10 years for me) and are getting close to retirement though, that would be totally unfair.[/QUOTE

Sorry,but we old UN's have paid for our pensions and as such should be ring fenced,don't punish the pensioners for living too long,it needs addressing for the pensioners in the future by making sure they are paying enough in sub's to pay for theirs, maybe by giving less to the professional scroungers and lay about,I don't get mine until next august but have been self supported retired for 2 years from an occupationional pension I took early

Sure, it's obvious you can't take earned entitlement off people already being paid it, I never suggested otherwise. Aged 35(ish) and under is probably about the age when most could make other plans and have time to save enough. And means testing means that anyone who wasn't able to would get the pension anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paid into my pension from the day I left school,and joined the pension scheme I'm still in over 30 years ago.I have made my plans to to retire in 8 years,but this government just keep moving the goalposts for people who have made long term plans.Personally my state pension I am not now accounting for,I have made provisions to pay enough,and more to look after myself in retirement,and not worry about the bills.But this government are hell bent on not looking after our pensioners in retirement.If you want to retire on a good pension,you need to pay into it,but there's the people who have not had well paid jobs,to enable them to do so,so penalising them to not get a state pension and work longer is in my view unfair.

Paid into my pension from the day I left school,and joined the pension scheme I'm still in over 30 years ago.I have made my plans to to retire in 8 years,but this government just keep moving the goalposts for people who have made long term plans.Personally my state pension I am not now accounting for,I have made provisions to pay enough,and more to look after myself in retirement,and not worry about the bills.But this government are hell bent on not looking after our pensioners in retirement.If you want to retire on a good pension,you need to pay into it,but there's the people who have not had well paid jobs,to enable them to do so,so penalising them to not get a state pension and work longer is in my view unfair.
Bottom line is though that you pay into your state pension for the required time I think is now 30 years( that's part the problem,it should be ALL your working years) then you are legally entitled to it,the previous govts over my working life have set the tarrifs and must bear the cost, if I had been charged a little more in sub's I wouldn't have grumbled,it has to be set right and over the full length of a working life,it doesn't compute that an individual with 30 years sub's gets as much as one that paid in for 50 years

State pension is paid for by the current workforce. We either need to start having more children, increase net migration or cull off the elderly. There simply isn't the working population necessary to afford the growing pension bill.

I agree that it's unfair to those who have paid their taxes their whole life but this has been coming for a long time. All future generations had better start squirreling away money because we'll be getting nought.

State pension is paid for by the current workforce. We either need to start having more children, increase net migration or cull off the elderly. There simply isn't the working population necessary to afford the growing pension bill.

I agree that it's unfair to those who have paid their taxes their whole life but this has been coming for a long time. All future generations had better start squirreling away money because we'll be getting nought.
I think by knocking out more kids and increasing net migration is the opposite of what's needed,there ain't enough jobs as it is that's why mist of us voted for brexit to cut the over stretched benefit coffers

offend the grey gits and get voted OUT, that's what will keep their hands to themselves.

the young apparently don't vote and therefore don't exist and what doesn't exist dont count.

Still we are living too long, I for one don't want to be a drooling blob in a home were assuming they remember you get your ass wiped alternate Wednesdays.

aamcle

offend the grey gits and get voted OUT, that's what will keep their hands to themselves.

the young apparently don't vote and therefore don't exist and what doesn't exist dont count.

Still we are living too long, I for one don't want to be a drooling blob in a home were assuming they remember you get your ass wiped alternate Wednesdays.

aamcle
So we are all grey gits now? Charming fellow ain't you?

I think by knocking out more kids and increasing net migration is the opposite of what's needed,there ain't enough jobs as it is that's why mist of us voted for brexit to cut the over stretched benefit coffers

I'm sorry but that just isn't true and makes no economic sense when discussing pensions. There are plenty of jobs in the UK and unemployment is at its lowest ever level.

It's true that many people voted Brexit as they wanted to reduce migration. What people fail to realise is that migration is badly needed if we want to continue paying the pension bill. It's a fabrication to say that the welfare bill has gone up as a result of migration. The opposite is true.

It's simple economics. Pensions are paid for from current taxation. Large older population and relatively small younger workforce = ****storm and unaffordable pension system.

Unfortunately Nigel failed to mention that.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true and makes no economic sense when discussing pensions.

It's true that many people voted Brexit as they wanted to reduce migration. What people fail to realise is that migration is badly needed of we want to continue paying the pension bill. It's a fabrication to say that the welfare bill has gone up as a result of migration. The opposite is true.

It's simple economics. Pensions are paid for from current taxation. Large older population and relatively small younger workforce = ****storm and unaffordable pension system.

Unfortunately Nigel failed to mention that.
Where's the jobs? Automation and advancement of robotics will put millions on the jobless scrap heap starting anytime soon

They recently added one extra year to how long you wait for your state pension if you are currently under the age of 40 something. There was a lot of people very upset by this, but really it's one extra year! Nobody of any consequence is seriously talking about reducing the entitlements of anyone remotely close to claiming them. Means testing the pension for people my age is highly likely to happen and probably should. As has been said before, we early middle aged people (I can't count myself as 'young' any more!) need to save for ourselves because there won't be the money for a state pension.

Where's the jobs? Automation and advancement of robotics will put millions on the jobless scrap heap starting anytime soon

No disagreement from me on that. It doesn't change the fact that as we speak we have the highest levels of employment and still not enough people of working age to cover the bill. Our population demographic is really poorly balanced.

We're not alone. Every developed country in the world is going through the same. The whole thing is a mess and reeks of the short-termist policy decisions that our governments produce.

No disagreement from me on that. It doesn't change the fact that as we speak we have the highest levels of employment and still not enough people of working age to cover the bill. Our population demographic is really poorly balanced.

We're not alone. Every developed country in the world is going through the same. The whole thing is a mess and reeks of the short-termist policy decisions that our governments produce.
ahh that old chestnut having the highest levels of employment?millions on fixed term contracts paying peanuts whereby the poor old worker has to ask the govt to subsidise their wages,you couldn't make it up,the companies should be paying a living wage not the govt topping them up:nono:

Again I agree. It's a disgrace how poorly paid people are. Immigration certainly does nothing to help that. The problem is that we are where we are. Poor economic planning caused it but what's the answer?! Our national debt is staggering. Again, we're not alone on that front.

The right type of immigration is required at the moment because we don't have enough children and people are living longer so we need it to balance our ageing population to an extent.

Latest posts

Back