using the "wrong" yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
My cali common and youngs aipa are both a bit on the low flocculation side...a didn't chill for very long and got the yeast in both partly due to the fizz disturbing it. My pseudo lager on the other hand with gervin is top of the class...
Do any of you just stick to one yeast regarding the beer type? Would just using the gervin for example really upset a style THAT much...?

Hello all
My cali common and youngs aipa are both a bit on the low flocculation side...a didn't chill for very long and got the yeast in both partly due to the fizz disturbing it. My pseudo lager on the other hand with gervin is top of the class...
Do any of you just stick to one yeast regarding the beer type? Would just using the gervin for example really upset a style THAT much...?

I use US 05 as my default yeast. The dry and clean taste quite appeals to me, though I would use a Belgian yeast for a Belgian style beer, Saison yeast for a Saison.

I have used others with decent results on occasion - S 04 and Coopers yeast, for instance. The only one that gave radically different outcomes was WLP002 available as Danstar English Ale yeast. Very low attenuation. So, if that is what you want, US 05 is probably not for you!

No doubt there is a whole world of liquid yeasts out there waiting to discovered. One Day!

It's the flocculation I'm thinking about....the gervin and some others are user friendly some of the powdery ones can be right nuisance. ...

Gervin is currently my workhorse, it's got a massive temp range and really forgiving. I'll be using it till my kitchen get's to below about 20C then I switch to my Gales strain I have in the fridge

I always use nottingham/gervin except the 1 occasion I wanted a style that needed a specific yeast. Though I have tried S04 and US05 in some earlier beers but I just find nottingham works well in just about everything and its cheap.

I've done two youngs aipa kits and according to my notes the first poured clear. It is totally clear in the bottle but cracking it causes the yeast to stir up...I'll super chill a few to see what they do.
I have moved to partial mash now and generally things seem quite stable. My American wheat pours crystal clear with CML krystalweisen yeast but the cali common with their steam beer yeast, although completely clear in the bottle disturbs very easily.

Must say that i do use Gervin a fair bit.Switched from US-05 to the CML US Pale and like the CML Kolsch.
Don't much like the Danstar ESB yeast,Also wasn't overkeen on the Abbaye yeast either.

My BIAB with 5kg of Golden Promise and hunners of hops hasn't started fermenting with my Mangrove Jacks lager yeast so I've just chucked in the Ale yeast and ramped up the temp from 12 to twenty, it's too good to waste,I WILL get a beer from this 👍

What did you use as the yeast for your Cali Common? I've only ever used MJ California Lager and it drops like a stone giving me clear beer as soon as it's carbonated. I was going to use a liquid one next time.

I usually try to use the yeast for that style, although I wasn't impressed with s-04 in my current golden ale so might use US-05 for v2.

I don't understand the use of default yeasts. Yeast contributes the highest level of flavour to beer unless you're brewing a basic lager or a fairly clean pale ale to be hopped to buggery. I have found that using carefully selected yeasts, or even yeast blends, can create a depth of complexity with regards to flavours in the beer.

Admittedly dry yeasts are easier and cheaper, but the flavour profile is vastly inferior. For example, I recently brewed a Bavarian Weissbier for which I stupidly used WB-06 because I had a few packs in the freezer and wanted to use them up. It's at the end of fermentation and when I measured the FG I drank the sample and it lacked flavour.

The same recipe with liquid yeast was amazing, so I can only identify the blandness of it as being down to a minimal contribution by the yeast. Before I moved to liquid yeasts I thought WB-06 was a decent wheat yeast. Now the last few packs are going in the bin and the beer is kegged as one for visitors only!

I like to use Wyeasy 1450 ( Denny's favourite) for AIPA, it's very popular with American brewers, the only problem is patience as it's also has low flocculation but given a little time it clears up very well into a solid yeast in the bottle and keg, if you ever try it I think you will be surprised at the excellent flavour it brings to a beer

Back