Posting more than 2 beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was unable to post a parcel because it contained 3 beers. What kind of horsesh*t rule is this??

This may be a dumb question but how did they know?

In the post office they often ask you what's in it if you go to a counter which I conside a gross invasion of privacy. It should be enough to ask if you've read the list of prohibited items and agree that you're not posting one of them. I always go to the auto-machines if they have them because they don't stick their noses in to your business.

So are they objecting to the amount of bottles in one package or what they contain?

So are they objecting to the amount of bottles in one package or what they contain?

Great question. It shouldn't be either, as beer is not on the prohibited (or even restricted) list and the post office weight limit is 20kg (30kg for Parcelforce)

Great question. It shouldn't be either, as beer is not on the prohibited (or even restricted) list and the post office weight limit is 20kg (30kg for Parcelforce)
Unless the 3 beers in question were three 19 litre kegs!:whistle:

Unless the 3 beers in question were three 19 litre kegs!:whistle:

Well yes! In fact each bottle isn't allowed to be more than 1 litre, though I don't know how they would know this.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-what-can-i-send

------------------------------------------------------
Alcoholic beverages and liquids (24% ABV or less) Including beer, lager, wine and champagne.

Wrap in polythene and seal with tape. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from breakage. Volume should not exceed 1 litre per item. Mark as ‘FRAGILE’ when sending glass bottles. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

------------------------------------------------------

In the post office they often ask you what's in it if you go to a counter which I conside a gross invasion of privacy. It should be enough to ask if you've read the list of prohibited items and agree that you're not posting one of them. I always go to the auto-machines if they have them because they don't stick their noses in to your business.

I felt the exact same way. Next time they ask me I'm Gona say it's a sex toy.

Surely there's your answer. One litre per item [parcel] is two 500ml bottles?

I don't think so because a) I've sent 4 bottles before (and told them it was 4) and b) the instructions on wrapping items on the link I posted imply that an "item" is a bottle (it talks about wrapping each item individually and packing the box so items can't move around)

I don't think so because a) I've sent 4 bottles before (and told them it was 4) and b) the instructions on wrapping items on the link I posted imply that an "item" is a bottle (it talks about wrapping each item individually and packing the box so items can't move around)

You're right because elsewhere on the same page it distinguishes between items and packages.

Yesterday in my angered haste I posted this thread. I don't mean to be rude, but I am interested to know why I can't post more than 2 beers. They do ask what's in the parcel which is so annoying anyway, maybe next time I'll say "plans to blow up the death star".

@Hoddy thanks for the advice. I'm not too keen on Royal Mail for reasons like this, long queues, staff who spend 3 hours trying to upsell me all their products considering there is a long queue etc.

The woman at the desk asked what's in the package, I told her, she asked how many bottles so I said 3 and she said I couldn't post more than 2. I said I miscounted, and really there are only 2 and she said Royal Mail scan packages and if they find more than 2 bottles of beer they destroy it. How a scanner can detect beer and the no. of vessels its in is beyond me but I didn't want to have an argument with her, considering a queue was behind me.

They've just got mixed up, the page linked to up above says that there is a two bottle restriction on higher alcohol items. Quite how her scanner can determine the alcohol content of the bottles will forever remain a puzzle I think.

Yesterday in my angered haste I posted this thread. I don't mean to be rude, but I am interested to know why I can't post more than 2 beers. They do ask what's in the parcel which is so annoying anyway, maybe next time I'll say "plans to blow up the death star".

@Hoddy thanks for the advice. I'm not too keen on Royal Mail for reasons like this, long queues, staff who spend 3 hours trying to upsell me all their products considering there is a long queue etc.

The woman at the desk asked what's in the package, I told her, she asked how many bottles so I said 3 and she said I couldn't post more than 2. I said I miscounted, and really there are only 2 and she said Royal Mail scan packages and if they find more than 2 bottles of beer they destroy it. How a scanner can detect beer and the no. of vessels its in is beyond me but I didn't want to have an argument with her, considering a queue was behind me.

Sounds like you just got unlucky with the person you got. I always carry a copy of their leaflet on restricted items so I'm ready to go into battle if they don't know their own rules!

Sounds like you just got unlucky with the person you got. I always carry a copy of their leaflet on restricted items so I'm ready to go into battle if they don't know their own rules!

She showed me some restrictions on her computer. These beers are actually off to you, and you'll be pleased to know they have now been sent. My wife posted them and this time there was cordial or something in there. I'll PM you about it.

I tell them chocolate pop - a few nosy so and so's want to know more. To Be Fair they should be aware of a pressurized liquid and in my case its in a glass bottle.

The standard 2nd class small parcel costs about 2.90 thesedays and is good for under 2kg. I usually put one 500 or 2 x 330s in. With one of the maximum accepted dimensions being 16cms it's hard to fit anymore in and package them well enought to avoid being wrecked by the royal fail. :doh:

Back