NI electric bike riders 'must have licences'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How long before electric bike riders in the U.K have to get a licence if this goes through - "In the rest of the UK anyone aged 14 or over can ride electric bikes that meet certain requirements. They do not need a licence and it doesn't need to be registered, taxed or insured"

Anyone riding an electric bicycle in Northern Ireland without a proper licence could face a fine of up to £1,000, it has been revealed.

The Department for Infrastructure confirmed that anyone who owns one of the bikes in NI must have a motorcycle licence.

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK where this applies.

Legislation to change the law in NI began in 2016, but cannot be completed as the assembly is not sitting.

As a result electric bikes in Northern Ireland need to be insured, taxed and registered with the DVLA.

Riders will also have to wear a crash helmet.

The police have said anyone not complying with the law could be liable for a fine and a minimum of six penalty points.

A disqualification is also possible, depending on a judge's view of the offence.

The bikes have small electric motors which can travel distances of between 40 and 60 miles (64-97km), and allow speeds of up to 15mph.

In the rest of the UK anyone aged 14 or over can ride electric bikes that meet certain requirements. They do not need a licence and it doesn't need to be registered, taxed or insured.

Before 1995, Electrical Assisted Pedal Bicycles (EAPCs) were treated as mopeds throughout the UK, so the vehicle had to be licensed and insured and the rider had to hold a valid provisional or full driving licence (category AM Mopeds).

In 1995, the law in England, Scotland and Wales was changed to exempt EAPCs from this requirement.

However, a similar exemption was not legislated for in Northern Ireland.

In a statement, the Department for Infrastructure said: "The department was recently approached by Sustrans NI and the Bicycle Association of Great Britain seeking clarification of the legal requirements in NI.

"They were advised that EAPCs have never been exempted from licensing or registration requirements in NI and that those selling them here should highlight to any customers wishing to use these vehicles on public roads that they must register their vehicle through DVLA in Swansea.

"Customers must also be made aware that they may have to pay vehicle excise duty and insure these vehicles.

"Anyone found riding an EAPC in NI and not complying with one or more of the legal requirement could, theoretically, face a fine between £500 and £1,000 depending on the nature of the offence. However, no prosecutions have taken place."

The police said they have been told that "until defined in law, an electric cycle should be regarded as a motor vehicle and hence requires insurance, tax, etc".

The leader of the Green Party in Northern Ireland, Steven Agnew, said that the law was "incredible".

He said the bikes are much closer to ordinary bicycles than to motorbikes.

"I will be writing to the chief constable to say to apply the spirit of the law and the spirit of the law is not to prosecute people," he said.

"It's a problem that needs to be resolved by the assembly ultimately, but the police can work on the spirit of the law, beyond the letter of the law and I'll be writing to the chief constable to make that point."

He added: "It's something that if we had a functioning assembly could be simply solved, this is something that could be brought in through secondary legislation."

How long before electric bike riders in the U.K have to get a licence if this goes through - "In the rest of the UK anyone aged 14 or over can ride electric bikes that meet certain requirements. They do not need a licence and it doesn't need to be registered, taxed or insured"
Police, politicians, government departments here are a law upon themselves with totally different laws for driving, shopping, alcohol licensing,age of consent and the list goes on but apart from that it's not so bad considering the size of our wee island against the population...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

It won't happen. Aren't Boris Bikes power assisted?

Once the vivax assist becomes affordable to the masses this law will become unenforceable. It's a motor that slots into the seat tube of a standard cycle and powers the crank, hard enough to spot it has been used to cheat in cycle racing and now dubbed 'mechanical doping'.

12c67b7101617c86ba9d01a6c51755c7.jpg

Plus there is the public health implications of making powered cycling unattractive, to consider. Powered assisted cycling is still better than not cycling. And, then there are the environmentalists who would oppose such rules.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

It won't happen. Aren't Boris Bikes power assisted?

Once the vivax assist becomes affordable to the masses this law will become unenforceable. It's a motor that slots into the seat tube of a standard cycle and powers the crank, hard enough to spot it has been used to cheat in cycle racing and now dubbed 'mechanical doping'.

12c67b7101617c86ba9d01a6c51755c7.jpg

Plus there is the public health implications of making powered cycling unattractive, to consider. Powered assisted cycling is still better than not cycling. And, then there are the environmentalists who would oppose such rules.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I agree with all of this but to answer your question, Ken Bikes (if we are naming them after the mayor who actually commissioned them) aren't power assisted. Quite the opposite they weigh a ton and seem deliberately built to stop riders getting any speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was on Nolan's radio show this morning. Don't worry for the rest of the UK, it seems we just haven't caught up with the laws regarding electric bikes introduced in the 1990's.

It does pose some questions though. Police have never prosecuted anyone here but they said they will uphold the law if presented with it. It also asks the question on other electric vehicles like disability scooters.

I've been thinking seriously on an electric bike for my commute when invariably my car packs in, this has given me something to think about.

Again, this isn't a law that has just been brought in. It's a law that needs updating for us.

I agree with all of this but to answer your question, Ken Bikes (if we are naming them after the mayor who actually commissioned them) aren't power assisted. Quite the opposite they weigh a ton and seem deliberately built to stop riders getting any speed!

My mistake, Boris trialled them in hilly areas, obviously the idea went no further. Living in the Pennines I remember chuckling at the concept of hills in London.

Vintage fixy with no brakes and sprung Brooks saddle for efficient London cycling.

My mistake, Boris trialled them in hilly areas, obviously the idea went no further. Living in the Pennines I remember chuckling at the concept of hills in London.

Vintage fixy with no brakes and sprung Brooks saddle for efficient London cycling.

Same here, I grew up in rural Somerset so London hills aren't real hills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two comments:

1. In France anyone over the age of 14 years can ride a moped on a road as long as they have a provisional licence and wear the appropriate safety gear. Magic! Seeing these kids, heads down, arses in the air, trying to make themselves as aerodynamic as possible and buzzing along at a flat-out 50kph is one of life's joys! They also learn road-sense well before they can drive a car or a big bike!

2. ANY legislation that reduces the public's desire to ride a bicycle of any form is a backward step when the given aim is to reduce the number of car journeys! However, I am heartily sick of watching people on electric bikes riding without helmets, riding on pavements and generally being a PIA winding in and out of traffic in town. As in many other cases, we don't need any extra legislation we just need the existing legislation to be enforced!

Maybe we need to reintroduce "Mr. Tufty" to teach older people how to ride a bike! :whistle:

Latest posts

Back