An Online Competition - Doh!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was attracted to an online competition which I started. I never do this sort of thing I might add.
And so I answered a fairly easy set of questions to start with but then I got deeper and deeper into this, answering marketing type questions and along the way giving them an email address, and trying to find if I was actually close to winning anything, then suddenly I realised what I was into, and I tried to pull the plug. Too late. :doh:
I have now been unindated with emails (all legit so far) and the toss up is to either bother to unsubscribe or simply delete and block, or both.
So my advice is, don't be a complete tw*t like me and get sucked in to these scams or you will be receiving emails about anything from recruitment, through windows, to dating agencies until you close your email account. The only consolation is it's not really too much bother to me since I rarely use the account, but sadly I can't close it since it's tied to my current BB provider.
Doh!

I have several email addresses and only use two for serious stuff so when i register for a photo hosting site etc i use a throw away one.

I am relentlessly bombarded with ads for Russian women and no-strings dating. I don't know how that's happened.

There are a couple of websites that let you have a email address for a hour then deletes it, this is one I use if I'm unsure if a site is dodgy or not
https://www.guerrillamail.com
There's the link to make a short lived email address, there are other sites as well, just gooogle temporary email or something like that

Gmail is very good at filtering out junk, and if "opt in" emails get through, it's good at learning what you mark as junk and even delete without opening.

Latest posts

Back