One race, fight too far.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Bolt beaten by a two time cheat and didn't go out with the last big win most of us expected and now i have read Wladimir Klitschko has announced his shock retirement from with immediate effect so no Anthony Joshua rematch and no last big win before retirement, he won 64 of his 69 fights but i imagine most Brits will remember his last fight against our man and the one that finished his career.

I doubt Klitschko needed the money so why didn't he finish on a high rather than take on Joshua and finish on a low.

Because he knows he won't win the rematch? Joshua is a the start of his career and would have learnt loads from the last fight, Klitschko has little to learn. So, Joshua has scope to improve whilst klitschko just gets a little bit older.

I get that but what i meant was why did he take the fight in the first place he didn't need the money and now has retired as you say because he knows he would be unlikely to win the rematch i bet he wishes he had never taken the fight and had retired on a high after his last one.

The question should then be, why did he fight Tyson Fury? Joshua was his chance to go out on a high after losing to Fury.

Hasn't Fury retired, come back, retired, had licence suspended pending drugs panel review, come back and retired again (last week the last time I read it)?
As I understand it, Fury still isn't licenced (but that doesn't stop him being licenced by someone other than the British Board) and the verdict of his drugs testing is still pending so it is unlikely that he will fight AJ in the foreseeable. AJ also has to arrange a fight against one no.1 contender in the next 30 days and also fight another one by December or give up the relevant belts.

The question should then be, why did he fight Tyson Fury? Joshua was his chance to go out on a high after losing to Fury.

I forgot about Fury :doh:

He probably thought like most of us he would beat Fury and when he failed as you say he fancied his chances against the young lad and that would have seen him retire, a bit of a poor end to a great career.

I can understand his retirement. He achieved everything he wanted to, doesn't need the money and probably lost the desire. Better to retire from boxing rather than boxing retire him. I say good luck to him.

I can understand his retirement. He achieved everything he wanted to, doesn't need the money and probably lost the desire. Better to retire from boxing rather than boxing retire him. I say good luck to him.

I agree the decision is right but for me the timing is wrong, as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I reckon a lot of sportsmen / women. would love to give up at the end of their career on a high but often bodies giving up declining injury will often cause this not to be the case.

Boxing you could argue they amount of money is ridiculous but going that extra fight for pride and wanting that high will always be the motivation I guess

Even footballers will often be playing for lower clubs when their best days are behind them. Rugby players have a short career so make the most of it, Cricketers even International often will play until their reaction times slow and then ultimately get dropped.

I am kind of digressing I know but I guess it is a trend in a lot of sports and going out on a high is often never going to be the case.

Latest posts

Back