Foraging Rocks !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
2kg of blackberries today.
Now to find a recipe.

Don’t you just love how you can fill your boots with freebies on your doorstep and make loveliness out of it [emoji485] [emoji485]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bang em in the freezer till your sorted with a plan, it will help with juice extraction too ;)

If you plan further soft fruit foraging, a rumtoff might be a plan,, add sugar and spirit with fruit to a demijon, (cover the fruit with spirit (gin/vodka/snapps) ) then over the summer add more fruits as you gather them topping up with a spoonful of sugar and spirit to cover the fruit as you go.. the odd strawberry/rasperry pick your own, and any fruitbowl items that start to over ripen are good additions too (imho avoid bananas tho)

come christmass/new year you will have a unique and complex delicious sweet fruit concoction to enjoy and share.. and if you keep the fruit dregs covered with spirit you can use it as the base for the following year or drink it dry and bang the fruit in the freezer for a fruit cake base..

2kg of blackberries today.
Now to find a recipe.

Don’t you just love how you can fill your boots with freebies on your doorstep and make loveliness out of it [emoji485] [emoji485]

I agree! After collecting probably near 20kg of plums from a single tree in our garden I posted on here to get some ideas. Several jars of jam have been made. Next on the list is plum brandy and plum white rum (Bacardi). Also have about 3kg of blackberries in the freezer from outside a local primary school for free!

1.3kg being used up today in a blackberry wine, rest going into the freezer.
Two Crab Apple trees next to where I picked - any thoughts on crab apples and what to do ?

I went with my boy on Saturday, got 2kg blackberries and a few bunches of elderberries. this plus 800gm of sugar, pectolase and 1 campden. Sieved it and into the DJ with yeast and nutrient. its got a hell of a crust on it. Smelled amazing though. Here it is next to the processco recipe you kindly shares with me, and a 5 gallon Beaverdale Merlo kit and a 5 gallon wow.

20170814_192916.jpg

Latest posts

Back