Anyone tried Ernest hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan125

BIAB brewer
Reaction score
For next weekend's brewday I'm planning on making a hoppy pale ale with all british ingredients.
Was gonna go 50/50 with quite a bit of Ernest & Olicana and am hoping for more fruitiness than earthiness.
Anyone tried Ernest yet ? It apparantly has clear “New World” characteristics producing a complex flavour with predominantly fruity notes, especially apricot, citrus and spice.

:cheers:

1st impressions from brewday are more earthy/spicy than fruity/citrus - but I'll reserve judgement for now

I've not found any of the fruity English hops give the same punch as new world hops. Jester is meant to be great but production is still quite low and it's all bought up by the industry so nothing left for home brewers.

I've not found any of the fruity English hops give the same punch as new world hops. Jester is meant to be great but production is still quite low and it's all bought up by the industry so nothing left for home brewers.

see my review from several weeks ago. I made a Jester SMASH, and can confirm that they were quite nice. Slightly fruity, with a rounded floral/earthy note

I've tried Jester before & was a bit underwhelmed to be honest. Was hoping for a bit more fruity flavour from these two - I used plenty of them so fingers crossed!

I'd like to know why british hops never pack the same punch as US/OZ/NZ hops? Is it down to the different breeding programmes having different priorities when it comes to flavour selection, presumably due to what they think the market they are selling to wants, or is it due to differences in climatic conditions and growing practices?

I'd like to know why british hops never pack the same punch as US/OZ/NZ hops? Is it down to the different breeding programmes having different priorities when it comes to flavour selection, presumably due to what they think the market they are selling to wants, or is it due to differences in climatic conditions and growing practices?

It can't all be down to the terroir can it? You'd think they be able to breed something similar if they wanted to.
I just wish they'd be honest with the descriptions

It can't all be down to the terroir can it? You'd think they be able to breed something similar if they wanted to.
I just wish they'd be honest with the descriptions

Agreed! I like Pilgrim for instance, it's a nice British hop but i've seen descriptors of pineapple being used and I've never picked up that kind of thing.

I kegged the Ernest/Olicana brew yesterday and to be fair there wasn't a big earthy hit - more a subtle fruitiness. Looking forward to trying it proper in a week or so.
I also have a few bottles if anyone fancies a swap?

I kegged the Ernest/Olicana brew yesterday and to be fair there wasn't a big earthy hit - more a subtle fruitiness. Looking forward to trying it proper in a week or so.
I also have a few bottles if anyone fancies a swap?

I've just done a brew with 300g Jester if you want to do a swap? It's quite nice, some fruit but also spice.

I've just done a brew with 300g Jester if you want to do a swap? It's quite nice, some fruit but also spice.

Nice one! - 300g sounds like the hop should come through nicely:thumb: (think I used half that in total)
Defo up for a swap mate - mines just gone into the bottle so can send in a week or 2 when its carbed.

Back