Levure de biere capsules

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryBukow

Reaction score
I'm currently in france without obvious access to brewers yeast for making brews with.

However I note that pharmacies and supermarkets here sell a thing called Levure de biere, similar to this link here: https://www.dieti-natura.com/levure-de-biere.html. Its based around saccharomyces cerevisae, however they are capsules with added vitamins mainly used as a supplement or for hair.

I basically wanted to ask, how stupid would it be to try and use these for brewing with? Any ideas? I'm fairly desperate!

I'm not sure quite what you mean. Can't you just get stuff via the internet?
There is a Belgium home brew shop that delivers all over Europe

Thanks for the reply Soton. It's a weird one, for some reason the French delivery providers have issues around delivering to my address. Haven't been here very long but they always say 'delivery unsuccesfull' even though it looks like they didn't try. Keep trying to tell me it's a commercial address - it's really not.

@LarryF, if I did that, what differences should I expect to see?

Thanks for the reply Soton. It's a weird one, for some reason the French delivery providers have issues around delivering to my address. Haven't been here very long but they always say 'delivery unsuccesfull' even though it looks like they didn't try. Keep trying to tell me it's a commercial address - it's really not.

I will await your feedback, I've never been in the position you find yourself in at the moment and I honestly don't envy you. I'm sure there's a forum thread out there somewhere where someone's brewed with bread yeast but then again what are your choices? What I can tell you is that kit yeast makes exceptional bread.

Ahh I see. I bet they have great bread yeast in France, but I couldn't tell you if it makes great beer

Beer made from Bread Yeast is "drinkable" ... :whistle:

... and anyone who follows my comments knows what that means! :doh:

For myself, I would get a selection of beers with yeast sediment in the bottom as per the photograph and make my own starter.

Alternatively, if you are anywhere near Nantes I expect to be in the area by the 15th September and I can bring a few packets out with me it you are anywhere nearby.

Hope this helps. :thumb:

PS

You could always try a couple of capsules and see if they produce a starter that smells/tastes/looks okay.

If it goes okay then let me know and I will pick up a few samples when I'm in France because they are a lot cheaper than over here! :thumb:

Imports for Yeast (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back